HU Style: Bathing Suit Trends for Every Body Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With spring break a little less than two weeks away, bikini season is getting closer and closer. And as far as “Dressing for Your Body 101”, every collegiette should know the right bathing suit for her body type. Here are some helpful tips on what bathing suit to wear to make sure you look fabulous for this year’s Spring Break and the summer months ahead!

Hourglass

Lattice High Waist Bottom with Push Up Bandeau, Victoria’s Secret (top $48.50 and bottom $34.50)

Leopard Print One-Piece Swimsuit w/ Band, Kamishade $69

If your body is shaped like an hourglass, then you’ll definitely want to accentuate your waist. Any style that draws attention to the slimmest part of your body will be flattering. If you love the high-waisted trend try this one from the new Spring Victoria’s Secret Swimwear. And since it’s in black it’ll make you look ten times better! Anything with underwire to give your bust some lift will look fabulous too. If you want a one-piece try this sexy leopard one with the black band that reveals your hourglass figure.

Athletic

Keyhole Bandeau Top and Low Rise Bottom, Victoria’s Secret $51

Pixel Party Monokini, Forever21 $24.80

If you have an athletic build, you’ll want a bathing suit that can show of your toned body. A bikini with and embellished top and simple bottoms will do just the trick. Try this adorable blue keyhole bandeau with a simple bottom from Victoria’s Secret. A bikini with cutouts will also look nice on an athletic figure and give the allusion of curves. Here’s a trendy tribal print one from Forever 21.

Pear 

Knotted Back Flounce Top, Victoria’s Secret $39.50

Anne Cole Ruched One-Piece, Macy’s $92

A pear shaped body calls for balancing out your figure, which can be tricky. The right bathing suit can be hard to find. Ruching on the sides of the swimsuit will flatter your stomach/waist area. Try a flounce top or something with ruffles to balance out your bust. Simple bottoms are the way to go for this body type. Mix and match ones can be found at Victoria’s Secret or Target if your budget is limited.

Curvy

Asos Curve Highwaisted Bikini Bottom and Halter Top, Asos $26.35 for each piece

Shopping for a swimsuit can sometimes be hard if you’re plus size. Everywhere you look are little string, two piece bikinis. If you have difficulty finding the right bathing suit for you, don’t worry here are some cute stylish options! Many stories have plus size lines, like Asos! Asos has their ‘Curve’ swimsuit line for curvy women. They have cute one pieces and 50’s style bikinis in different prints.

Straight 

Ruffle Push Up Bandeau Top, Victoria’s Secret

Ruched Side Bottom, Victoria’s Secret $34.50-$40.50

If you have a narrow, boyish figure you’ll want any style that can put emphasis on your bust and hips. Bathing suit tops with ruffles or trim will give you a much fuller look. Also try a ruched bottom. Another way to give your chest more volume is a twist push up bandeau, like this beautiful blue one. And paired with the ruched bottoms to add curve to your hips, you’ll be looking super sexy.

Apple  

Kenneth Cole Twist-Front Plunge One-Piece Swimsuit, Macy’s $107

Juicy Couture Boudoir Stripe Bikini Top & Bottom, Lord and Taylor (top clearance $48.98 and bottom clearance $42.48)

If you’re more curvy in the middle and fuller on the top try finding a bathing suit that slims your upper body, but fills out your hip area. This Kenneth Cole twist front one piece draws attention to your upper body and the twist gives a ruched effect that will slim your sides. Skirt bottoms always look good on an apple shaped body. Try this flirty pink-stripped suit by Juicy Couture.

I am an aspiring journalist studying at Hofstra University. My interests include, fashion, techno, and travel. Dirty chai is my favorite. I'm obsessed with red wine. And vegan ice cream is where it's at. xx