HU How To: Start A Blog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

To blog or not to blog… That is the question. We all spend hours reading about our favorite hobbies and interests on blogs, but many people don’t realize just how easy it is to start their own. There are a lot of reasons why blogging is great! It gives you an outlet, gets your voice heard, and allows you to express your passion to endless amounts of people. If you want to start a blog but don’t know where to begin, just take a look at these 6 steps.

1.     Pick Your Topic.

The first step towards having an awesome blog is to pick your topic. Make it something you are passionate about. It’s easier to write about what you love. If you still don’t know what you want to blog about, think of your hobbies and activities, things you enjoy doing.

2.     Find a Platform

There are plenty of platforms to choose from to start your blog. Free options include blogger.com or tumblr.com. There is also a free version of WordPress that you can use to create your blog. If you want more control of your blog than there is WordPress premium which gives bloggers a custom domain, advanced customization, and much more. Setting up a blog on these sites is easy and comes with step by step tutorials.

3.     Pick an Awesome Domain Name

You want your blog’s domain name to be memorable and unique. It can’t be too long and it has to be catchy to attract reader’s attention. Your domain name should hint towards what your blog is about and make people want to click to find out more about it.

4.     Do Your Research

Getting started can be tricky. Look at other blogs with the same topic as yours. Get inspiration and ideas from them. You’ll see things you like and don’t like which will help you figure out the direction you want to take your blog. From those ideas find ways to make your blog your own.

5.     When to Post

Once you’ve established the topic of your blog, make sure you follow a schedule to posting. Posting regularly attracts more readers and gives returning visitors new content to look at. Make to a schedule you can keep up with and your readers can follow so they know when new things will be posted.  It also helps to plan out topics. Planning ahead allows you to write articles in a timely manner. Knowing what you’re going to write about makes it easier to stay on track.

6.     Don’t Just Blog to Yourself

Unless you promote your blog, no one will read it. Use social media to get the word out about your blog. Link your accounts to your blog and let your social media followers know when you write a new article by posting an excerpt and having them click onto your blog to finish reading. Your biggest supporters and readers will be your friends and family so tell them all about your blog!

Most importantly, have fun. Blogging is really fun when you’re talking about what you love. Enjoy expressing yourself and telling the world how you feel! 

Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!