HU: Healthy University–Flu Shots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The time of year has come at Hofstra where everywhere you look, it seems the University is forcing something upon its students: flu shots.  With the bombardment of signs and information on where and when to get your flu shot, you might wonder if it is really worth it.  If Hofstra says you should get the shot, does that mean they are right?  According to comprehensive research published by The Lancet Infectious Diseases, the answer is yes.

Flu shot signs start popping up around campus at the start of fall, just in time before the infectious flu season starts taking over immune systems everywhere.  The University even gives students an excellent price for the shot: just $10.  With the small fee and convenient location, why wouldn’t you want to get vaccinated?  Perhaps all those stories you hear of friends and family members who got the shot, only to be succumbed to their bed with the flu directly after it.  One begins to wonder if the vaccine is worth the pain.

No matter the shot’s controversial past, this study found the vaccine prevented illness in 59 percent of adults (18-64) and in 8 of 12 flu seasons studied.  Of course, you might think 59 percent is not a very promising number, but over half is much better than zero.

There are still some catches with the shot.  If you are overweight or obese, the odds might not be in your favor.  A study published in the LA Times recently stated the vaccine is less effective on obese and overweight people, but that these individuals should still get the shot anyway.

With a 59 percent chance of the shot preventing you from being bedridden and miserable for a couple of days during the year, the benefits outweigh the risks.  In fact, there are no prevalent risks stated in any of the studies – and getting sick right after the shot might just be a matter of coincidence.  With these odds, this deal that Hofstra advertises is one you should not pass up.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!