HU: Healthy University – Boot Camp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Fads come and go in fashion, dieting and entertainment, but do we ever really think about the fads in exercise? The American College of Sports Medicine does every year when they conduct an annual poll predicting the year’s fitness trends, and the 2011 poll shows a surprising result for the fad that is on its way out, and which exercise is taking its place…

It seems that one of the biggest fads that is leaving the fitness world was once one of the leading fitness classes. Pilates was once a fitness giant, dominating gym classes and work-out DVDs, but things are about to change.  In the 2010 poll, Pilates placed ninth out of 20 — this year, it has completely fallen off the list, solidifying itself as a fad.  In its place is the new work-out on top: boot camp.

Boot camp jumped eight spots from last year’s poll which verifies its status as a workout giant.  Boot camp is a full body, high-intensity, military-style workout that encompasses everything from cardio to flexibility drills.  The workout first came on the scene in 2007, but only started gaining steam last year, and has made it to the top in 2011. 

Perhaps the reason boot camp has gained so much momentum is because of the versatility of the class.  Members of a boot camp class can expect to get down to business every time they commit to the work-out, but they can always expect to be surprised.  Not only do the military-style drills include cardio, strength training, flexibility drills, and endurance, but the workout can be done inside or out — it’s all up to the down-to-business instructor.  The point of a boot camp workout is to get in shape, and get it done quickly.  Expect to move from one exercise to the next with no rest, but reap the benefits from burning major calories.  This up-tempo style is ideal for busy students who need to fit in a workout, but still get home in time to do their homework.

Although boot camp is meant to be a hard-core class, don’t be intimidated to take on the work out.  It is only an hour long, so you know the drilling has to end sometime, and no experience in fitness training is required.  Boot camp has recently made its mark at Hofstra with the opening of the new fitness center.  The Boot Camp class is offered at 9:30 to 10:30 P.M. Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as a class at 2:00 to 3:00 P.M. on Saturday.  The minute the instructor walks into the aerobics studio, he becomes the drill sergeant.

“I didn’t really know what to expect, but it was cool how he really makes you feel like you’re at an actual boot camp and just keep going from one thing to the next.  It really empowers you,” says Katie Wiking, a junior at the University.

There is no need to be an ex-marine or even an athlete to try a boot camp class — this is why it has managed to push Pilates out of the running and take the lead in the exercise trends for 2011, because anyone can do it and it works.  You will never be bored, and you will always feel good after the hour of intense work is over. 

If you want to be up on the trends for 2011, try boot camp and ditch the slow pace of Pilates: it is time to step it up!

HU: Healthy University is a new series by HerCampus writer Meghan McCloskey, which centers around Hofstra fitness.

Kaitlin Cubria is a senior Public Relations major at Hofstra University, double minoring in Journalism, and Speech Communications & Rhetorical Studies. Born and raised in Staten Island, NY, Kaitlin always loved going into Manhattan on the weekends. She is a member of the Hofstra chapters of both Ed2010 and Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA), the vice president of She's the First Hofstra (non-profit) and acts as a Resident Assistant for Hofstra’s Residential Programs. Outside of her academics, Kaitlin recently finished internships at Hearst Magazines Public Relations, The CW Television Network Affiliate WPIX11 in the Creative Services division AND at New York Magazine. This semester, she has her dream internship at Seventeen magazine in the Web/Features department, where she is the Blog Manager for Seventeen.com's Freshman 15 blog! She is obsessed with pop culture; if you don’t see her reading the newest issue of Seventeen, you’ll probably catch her browsing PerezHilton.com for celebrity gossip. After having a love for both creativity and writing for a majority of her life, Kaitlin is excited to continue her communications/journalism experience at Her Campus! After college, she plans on pursuing a career in either entertainment public relations or magazine journalism.