Makup On Vanity
Makup On Vanity
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Style > Beauty

How Wearing Bolder Makeup Helped Me Become More Confident

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Ever since I was in 7th grade, I have loved wearing makeup. I started off small with terrible eyeliner and mascara every day and an obscene amount of blush. However, since I have gotten older, I have experimented more with different kinds of makeup, doing dull faces of makeup, and starting to wear eyeshadow. Since the middle of high school, I realized that I am a very colorful person so I started to experiment with different colors and styles. Doing this has led to my growing confidence. 

Rainbow pressed powder eye shadow make-up palette
Sharon McCutcheon

When experimenting with makeup, especially eyeshadow looks, it can be scary. Makeup is a form of art, and it can take years to really get the hang of doing all the super cool stuff, like when people were doing that cold mister challenge on Tik Tok. However, since makeup is art, it’s up to the artist to decide what they want to do, and what is perfect for them. After I got good enough at eyeshadow that I was happy with it, I bought more pallets with brighter colors like blues and purples and bright pinks. At first, I would use these colors only when I was just having fun at my house because I wasn’t confident enough to wear them outside even though I really liked how they looked on me. This kinda upset me but I just wasn’t ready for that amount of boldness. 

As I was starting senior year, I realized that I was actually really good at the eyeshadow looks that I was doing, and it was a waste to do them in my house on rainy days. So, one day in my senior year I wore a really bright pink eyeshadow that I loved. I was super nervous going in because I am the type of person that cares a lot about what others think of me. As soon as I got into school, everyone was complimenting me on it! This really helped me feel better, and it also helped me realize that it didn’t matter what they thought, I loved the way I looked with this kind of makeup on!

brushes and watercolor palette
Photo by Crystal de Passillé-Chabot from Unsplash

Doing bolder and bolder looks really helped me to become more confident in myself. It helped me realize that for me at least, makeup was something that I used for fun, not because I felt the need to cover myself up. Wearing bolder colors helped me to show my bubbly personality more, and really blossom into my true self around other people. Since that first time, I have learned so many new techniques and I use almost every color under the sun to match any part of my outfit and it helps me to feel confident and bold throughout the day! To any girl not sure if they should start experimenting with makeup, trust me it is so worth it. My confidence has skyrocketed and I love that I am able to express myself in this super fun way. 

smiley face balloons on carpet
Photo by Tim Mossholder from Pexels / Original Illustration by Her Campus Media

Arianna is a part of the class of 2023 at Hofstra University. She is a biology major with a concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology. She can be found at any moment in her dorm room talking with her mystery snails, and no that is not a joke. She is probably eating ice cream and waffles with them too.