How To Plan A Fun (And Safe) Halloween Get Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner! Who isn’t excited for trick or treaters, costumes, candy, parties and more! It is a night filled with friends and fun, a night where people can express themselves creatively with their costumes. With COVID-19 and the Delta variant still present, it is important to celebrate safely for everyone’s well-being! Here are a few tips on how to have a fun and safe Halloween get-together!

The very first tip is to make sure everyone you are inviting is vaccinated. With everyone vaccinated, the chance of spreading COVID-19 is low. Also, make sure that everyone is up-to-date on all their shots because spreading another illness like the flu is just as likely. Make sure everyone is being cautious beforehand, and not putting anyone in danger when they come to the gathering! Another tip is to invite people who are closest to you and to limit the guest list. This way everyone can easily keep track of who is there, having an invite list on hand is also very helpful.

The second tip is to have the gathering outside, weather permitting. This way everyone is in an open space and is not crowded all in one room. There are plenty of activities that can be done outside, like pumpkin carving, that can make your gathering fun! Social distancing is the easiest outside since it’s an open space. Chairs and tables can be placed as well, so all the guests are not just standing. Having a gathering on Zoom is also an option, especially if it is a large gathering. There are fun group activities you can do on Zoom like a movie marathon, and you can still dress up in costumes and have fun! 

If it is possible, try to limit communal food and drinks. It’s best to have individually wrapped snacks, like single-serving bags of chips and cookies. Separate bottles of water and juice are also useful. This way not everyone is touching all the food or drinks. This limits the amount of contact everyone has with each other and is an easy way to avoid spreading germs. 

Try to wear costumes with a mask-match your mask with your fit! Color coordinate! Also, have plenty of hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes available to clean hands and wipe down surfaces periodically.

Even with COVID-19 still active, Halloween should be a fun time. A time you can share and celebrate with friends. The day should not be stressful at all. Following even one of these guidelines on how to safely have a fun Halloween gathering should improve your level of enjoyment and lower your level of stress.

Dorothea Armijos is a journalism major with a fine arts minor. They are currently a student at Hofstra University and is a part of the graduating class 0f 2023.