How to Throw an Olympic Themed Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So, collegiettes, it’s that time again! The Olympics are not only a symbolic time of global unity but also a great opportunity to get your friends together and have an Olympic themed party! Join in on my excitement and use these three pieces to make your party gold medal worthy:

1. The Invites

Of course you can go with the usual text or Facebook message invite but to add a little something extra to your party hand out invites to your friends! An invite such as the one above would be super easy to make yourself by hand or with Microsoft Publisher! Invitations are perfect if you wanted to assign different countries to different attendees that they could represent at the party! Another great idea to add to your invite would be to ask your friends to bring a $2 minimum donation for the Special Olympics. This awesome organization is the world’s largest sports organization for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. They provide year-round training and competitions to more than 4.2 million athletes in 170 countries! It’s a super easy way to do a bit of good while having a lot of fun.

1. The Food

One of the key elements to any great party is delicious snacks and food! The possibilities are endless with an Olympic themed party. You can go fancier with cupcakes like the ones pictured above or you can go simpler by just frosting different cupcakes different colors of the rings. You can also impress your guests by putting out bowls of blue, black, red, yellow, and green M&M’s, gummy bears, or fruit! For a snack with a bit more substance make a pizza and get creative with the toppings! Who wouldn’t love a pizza whose pepperoni said USA on it?

1. The Activities

So, more likely than not, you and your friends aren’t Olympic level athletes. But that doesn’t mean you can’t join in on the fun for your party! If you divided your guests into countries then you already have a great start to splitting people up into teams. Some activity ideas include: who can hold an ice skating pose (like the one above) for the longest, who can name the most countries that participate in the Olympics, or a hula-hoop, jumping jack and push up competition. For you ‘of-age’ collegiates, a beer pong or flip cup competition versus the different countries is sure to get everyone into the competitive spirit of the Olympics! Be sure to have some chocolate gold coins (just as good as a gold medal) to hand out to the winners of the competitions!

Whether you’re cheering for the USA or another country, follow these tips and your party will definitely be a winner no matter who takes home the gold!

I'm a sophomore at Hofstra University majoring in international business and minoring in sociology and chinese language! Follow me @RachelTrotta