How to Take Yourself Out On a Date – According to Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So you’ve been feeling a little down, maybe a little lonely. You’ve been watching “He’s Just Not That Into You” three times per week, wondering what you’re doing wrong, and you fantasize about that cute guy in your Bio class asking you to grab food with him. All you want is for someone to sweep you off your feet into romantic oblivion – that’s okay, we’ve all been there. We did just get out of dreamy, elusive Pisces season, so if anything, aloofness was encouraged.

But we’re now in Aries season, aka, the most impulsive season of the year. So, if you’re not gonna make the first move, or if you just don’t want to be bothered with relationships in general, then we think it’s time you took yourself out on a date. Daunting concept, is it not? It’s just human to assume people are judging you, but the truth is that no one really cares what you’re doing or who you’re doing it with (gasp!) Taking time for yourself can be really nice, and the possibilities of what you can do are endless.

“So… what should I do on my solo date?”

Never fear, all you vacillators of the world (especially you, Libra.) After careful consideration, we’ve laid out the perfect “me party” for your zodiac sign.

Aries: Get a tattoo.

Yes, Aries, you read that correctly. We know you’ve been pinning inspiration to your “Tattoo” board on Pinterest for months, so just go for it already! You’re in your prime right now, and your impulsivity is more apparent than ever until April 20, so bite the bullet and get the tattoo of your dreams. Just make sure you’re not accidentally getting the Chinese symbol for “lamp” or something equally tragic.

Photo courtesy of Annie Spratt on Unsplash

Taurus: Go to Ikea.

As a Taurus, you value your material possessions, and there’s nothing like a little fengshui to re-evaluate what stays and goes in your space. Out with the old, in with the new, right? This is also a great place to take control of what you want: there’s nothing like marching into the self-serve warehouse with your list of things you’re going to buy in one hand and a giant cinnamon roll in the other.

Gemini: Go to a museum.

If you’re a Gemini, you probably value intelligence, and you love talking. Maybe- and don’t kill us here- it’s time to give yourself a break from the talking thing and go to a museum. It’ll be a great way to stimulate your brain without the pressure of following anyone else’s schedule. Fun fact: a lot of museums near Hofstra specifically (The Met, The Brooklyn Museum) are pay what you want for students, and most museums in general have student discounts on tickets, so, score.

Cancer: See a movie.

Sweet, domestic Cancer, we know you love to sit in your room and watch movies/ cooking shows/ videos from your childhood (we see you reiminiscing over there) when you have some free time… but how about taking yourself to a movie instead? If you see someone you know that you’re desperately trying to avoid, you can hide in the back, which is pretty much ideal. Also, when you inevitably start crying during the movie, no one will see you.

Leo: Go to a fitness class.

So maybe this isn’t your typical date idea, but you might be surprised at how invigorating a fitness class can be. As a Leo, you love to assert yourself in group situations and (as much as you may hate to admit it) you absolutely adore being the center of attention, so a fitness class just might be the perfect way to pick yourself up. You get a good workout, and you get to prove to yourself (and everyone else) how badass you are. Win-win.

Photo courtesy of Meghan Holmes on Unsplash

Virgo: Go to a painting class.

We think it’s time you channeled your inner Bob Ross and did something calming for yourself, like taking a painting class. This is a great activity for you, Virgo, and judging by the fact that you’re probably the most detail-oriented sign, we don’t expect your painting to be anything less than perfect.

Libra: Get a facial.

You care a lot about how you look, and what better way to treat yourself than by getting a facial? Sometimes getting a facial isn’t exactly the most relaxing thing ever (we’re @-ing you, extractions,) but you’ll walk out of your facial with skin that looks brand new, so… totally worth it. Pro-tip: you can get a 10 minute facial with Dermalogica products at Ulta for $10.

Scorpio: Make yourself dinner.

You’re already pretty good at taking care of yourself, Scorpio, but we think it’s about time you made yourself a nice dinner. Don’t know where to start? There are lots of services that will send you meals that are easy to make (like Hello Fresh), or you could just search a recipe online. The best part? It doesn’t matter if the food turns out good or not because it’s only for you. We recommend cuddling up on your couch and pairing your self-made dinner with an episode of your favorite show.

Sagittarius: Go on a hike.

Okay, maybe this is a little unreasonable if the weather isn’t great, but a hiking is a great way to spend some time with yourself. You love adventure, Sagittarius, and you’re also very in touch with nature, so hiking seems like a no brainer for you. Put on some of your favorite tunes, and hike the heck up that trail, girl.

Capricorn: Raid your favorite book store.

You love to be intellectually stimulated, and you certainly don’t have a problem with being alone in public places. If you’re anything like the Capricorn archetype, you also love to read, and we fully support you dishing out some serious cash on books. We also won’t judge you if you get some self-help books (we all need some motivation from time to time.) If you’re in the New York area, we strongly recommend The Strand as our bookstore of choice.

Photo courtesy of Clay Banks on Unsplash

Aquarius: Go thrifting.

Aquarius, you like to pretend you’re ~edgy (don’t give us that look, we know you love to be unpredictable.) What better way to assert yourself as an unpredictable, edgy college student™ than go thrifting? No, really though, this would be a great way to treat yourself. You deserve to feel good about yourself, and getting new clothes is a great way to pick yourself up. Thrifting is also great for the environment since all of your purchases will be second-hand, so really, you’re doing yourself and the environment a favor.

Pisces: Go to a coffee shop.

You maybe could have predicted this, but really, we are 100% sure a coffee house is, like, your sanctuary. Your emotional, dreamy side can really thrive in a coffee shop, and you can get some work done while you sip on your matcha latte or whatever slightly fluffy drink you will inevitably get.

Taking yourself out can definitely feel a little daunting, but we promise that you’ll have a better time if you have a positive attitude going into it. And hey, if you don’t have a good time, you only have yourself to blame.

Madeline is a journalism major at Hofstra University, and is a writer for HC Hofstra. If you're looking for her, you can probably find her at an Anthropologie, the beach, or eating peanut butter out of the jar.