This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Mermaid hair became one the most popular trends of 2017. Being a person with mermaid hair, I know how fun it is to have, as well as how demanding it is to maintain. Having mermaid hair for approximately 2 years now, I have learned what to do and what not to do to keep it looking its best. I hope these tips are able to help you out if you are struggling to take care of your colorful hair, or considering dying it.  

1. Do Wash Your Hair With Cold Water

Washing your hair with cold water is essential. Not only does it provide a relief to your scalp that will most likely become irritated from the bleach (for the first few days at least), but cold water prevents the dye from washing out quickly. If you use hot water, you will notice that more dye will wash out and the color will fade quicker causing you to either have to refresh the color yourself or go back to the salon which can be expensive.

2. Don’t Use Drugstore Brand Shampoos and Conditioners

When I first dyed my hair, I used drugstore brand shampoos and conditioners that claimed to be “color saving.” This was one the worst mistakes I’ve ever made. These products often contain sulfates which cause hair dye to wash out faster. When looking for shampoo and conditioners, make sure you use sulfate-free products. If you have any questions or are unsure what products are best, you can always ask your hairdresser. 

3. Don’t Wash Your Hair Too Often, but Do Condition Frequently

Mermaid hair should only be washed a few times a week, not every day. Not over washing your hair with shampoo allows the natural oils from your scalp to saturate your hair and helps prevent the color from fading. I can’t tell you exactly how often to wash, as everyone’s hair is different. You have to find a schedule that works for you. Personally, I shampoo twice a week and use conditioner every two days. Conditioning your hair is extremely important. Conditioner helps strengthen your hair that may become damaged by dyeing process. 

4. Don’t Heat Style Frequently

Most people with mermaid hair (including myself) had to apply a lot of bleach to their hair in order for the desired color to take. The process of bleaching and then dying exposes the hair to a lot of chemicals which may cause it to become brittle and unhealthy. In order to avoid breakage, I do not recommend applying heat too often. Instead of blow drying, air dry your hair. If you choose to straighten or use a curling iron, refrain from using it frequently or on a setting above 370 degrees and always use a heat protector spray first!

Cover Photo: Pixabay

Hi I am Jenna! I am a freshman at Hofstra university. I am a hair-dye enthusiast and lover of all things pop culture. I interview celebrities for my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/celebrityhautespot