jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Tackle Dating In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Dating in college is no easy feat. You have to balance your classes, friends, extracurriculars and leave room to better yourself. I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for almost two years after meeting at college. And in our relationship, we were able to find a balance in our lives and are still going strong. So here are just a few things that I have learned while being in a college relationship.

One of the most important things you need to do is not lose yourself in the relationship. While it’s great to fall in love and find someone who is great for you, it’s even more important to make sure you don’t limit your time to only them. College is the time in your life where you’re supposed to branch out and gain new experiences. So instead of limiting your time just to your partner. Make sure you make new friends, join clubs, and get involved on your campus. And if your partner does not allow for you to expand your horizons then they are not for you. Being in a relationship means being supportive of each other’s goals and interests. So make sure you take opportunities that come your way such as studying abroad and an internship because you may never get another chance. And if your partner really cares about you then they will support you the whole way through.

Image from Unsplash.com

Another part of college relationships are long distance relationships. Now I have been in a long distance relationship with my current boyfriend as we both live in different states when we’re on breaks. But sometimes being so far away from your partner is difficult. Even now, it’s hard to spend a couple months away from my boyfriend and I often visit for a week or two. If you are looking to get into a long distance relationship make sure you are ready to put in the work and also be sure that your heart is one hundred percent in it. Long distance relationships take more effort than regular relationships and can be emotionally tolling on you. But they can often be some of the most rewarding ones as they test your trust, faith, and love for one another. 

Image by Unsplash.com

When you hear about college there always seemed to be a high emphasis on hook-up culture. It seemed that everyone was hooking up with a different person with each mixer that they went to. But when dating in college there are a few things you need to know about hooking up. The first part is to not sacrifice a healthy relationship for multiple hookups throughout your college years. But, do not enter a committed relationship if you are not willing to be committed to them completely. Know what you want from your college relationships and then you will be able to find the right person or people to make you happy.

I am a Video/Television and Film major with a Journalism Minor who is passionate about animals, movies, television, music, beaches and hiking. I enjoy spending time with my friends and going on adventures whether it is hiking or just taking a road trip.