How to Survive New York Winters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Winters in New York are definitely rough for non-locals. The harsh winds and cold weather is enough to scare anyone off from the beautiful city. But winter in New York is one of the most beautiful times of the year! The lights, the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller, and all of the decorations. Even though the weather is harsh, everyone should be able to experience the magic of New York in the winter. After living in New Jersey all my life and taking frequent trips to the city throughout those years I have a few tips and tricks to surviving winter in New York. Here is how you can survive winter in New York!

1. Dress in layers

New York winters are absolutely no joke. Even I have underestimated the cold weather and have gotten sick from wearing a t-shirt and ripped jeans in the middle of January. It’s always best to prepare for the worst rather than be cold the entire trip into New York. Also, if you become too hot then you can take off some of your layers and place them into your bag. Some of the essential layers for a day out in New York winter weather include:

Tank Top

I would usually wear tank tops underneath my long sleeves shirts during the milder winter days. They add just an extra bit of warmth underneath your shirt to keep the harsh winds off your back. Some places that you can find nice tank tops include Target, Macy’s and JCPenny. These tank tops are used more as layering tank tops and come at fair prices and often times have sales! 

Long-Sleeved T-Shirt

Long-sleeved shirts are essential for winters in New York. I like to wear then in conjunction with tank tops or even under sweaters. The more layers that you wear the better! Stores, where you can find good long sleeved shirts, include Target, Macy’s and JCPenny. Just like their tank tops, the long sleeved shirts are also cheap and are of good quality. Often times these shirts have sales! Long-sleeved shirts are great for layering so definitely stock up.

Sweaters/Sweatshirts

Sweaters are essential for winter weather in New York!  I always have a giant stack of sweaters and sweatshirts in my closet during the winter months. If you’re going to wear a sweater or sweatshirt make sure that it is thick or even fluffy enough to block the wind. If not, then you should layer with a tank top or long sleeved t-shirt underneath your sweaters in order to build up the warmth. Great places to find warm sweaters include Express, Target, Macy’s, Old Navy, and Cotton On.  I have owned sweaters from all of these stores and I can definitely say that they have helped me survive the harsh winters. Prices range depending on the store but all are reliable. 

Winter Jacket

An essential piece of winter clothing is the jacket. When you’re living through winter in New York, you need a jacket that is dependable and tough. This is not the time for cute bomber jackets. There are a few things that you should look out for when searching for a winter jacket. Make sure that your jacket has a hood so it can block out any wind or water from the melting snow. Also, your jacket should be water resistant and windproof for when the snow melts and for the harsh winds that are constant throughout winter. If you are going to be getting a wool jacket make sure you check the percentage of wool it contains. The more wool, the warmer you’ll be! Some jacket companies that are good for winter include LL Bean, North Face, Zara, and Woolrich. 

Long Pants/Leggings

During the winter I highly suggest you wear long pants or leggings. DO NOT WEAR SHORTS OR RIPPED JEANS!  The amount of times that I have worn ripped jeans during the winter months is insane and every time I am freezing. If you do wear ripped jeans or shorts, wear opaque and thick tights underneath to keep you warm. Also, if you get leggings try to have leggings with wool inside. They are actual lifesavers during the winter and I highly suggest those. 

Thermal Socks

Thermal socks are great for the winter! Your toes will freeze unless you provide them the right protection. For years I would be layering up on socks and then I found a brand called Heat Holders. They have an amazing line of thermal socks that lock the heat in and keep your feet warm until you take the socks off. Ever since then I have completely depended on these thermal socks and have bought multiple pairs. I highly suggest thermal socks because they will definitely make or break your New York winter experience. 

Scarves

Scarves are also a must for winter. You can definitely feel the difference when you’re not wearing a scarf and it is awful. Make sure that you are getting a thick scarf in order to get the most warmth from the product. Scarves are also great because they are easy to remove if you get too warm! Overall, I would never leave the house without a scarf in the winter and I definitely recommend picking up a few scarves to survive. 

Gloves

Gloves are also very important for the winter! Cold hands will ruin your day or night out in New York. I suggest grabbing touch gloves that allow you to text on your phone without having to take your gloves off. Also, leather gloves are great for locking in heat so if you’re willing to splurge definitely grab those. 

Hat/Ear Muffs 

A ton of people forget hats when it comes to preparing for New York winters. I suggest that if you are not used to such extreme cold weather to grab a couple of hats or ear muffs to wear over the course of the winter months. Wool hats are also especially great for the cold weather! 

2. Use hand warmers

Hand warmers are the perfect trick to keeping warm during the winter months in New York. Sometimes gloves aren’t enough to keep you warm so hand warmers are a great addition to them! Hand warmers are small little pouches that when activated warm up and keep your hands warm for hours. I often stick them inside my gloves when I’m walking outside in New York in order to get the most heat. They are also insanely cheap! A regular pack of hand warmers usually does not cost more than five dollars. For such a good price it’s a good idea to grab a few packs of hand warmers to prepare for the cold weather ahead. 

3. Wear boots

Cute shoes are not meant for winters in New York. Sure, they’re great for pictures but after a few hours, they will definitely ruin your day. Do not wear sandals, sneakers, flats, and especially do not wear high heels. I suggest that you wear boots during the winter months in order to protect your feet. Also, when it does snow it is best to wear snowshoes in order to be able to walk properly through the crowds. 

4. Ride the subway

For those who are new to New York winters, a great way to avoid most of the cold weather is to not walk through the streets. Sure, it’s great to walk if you want to visit tourist spots and check out all of the great lights. But if you are looking to get from Point A to Point B then you should take the subway. The subway cuts down on travel time throughout the city and allows you to get out of the cold during your journey. It’s a perfect survival hack for those looking to visit multiple places and also keep warm in New York.

5. Moisturize

During cold weather, your skin will definitely become dry and cracked which ultimately will leave your more vulnerable to cold weather. When possible, it’s best to moisturize your hands, face, and lips with lotion in order to protect your skin. It will help in the long run and will allow your skin to become more durable against the harsh winter winds. I suggest carrying around a travel sized hand lotion and Chapstick in your travel bag at all times in order to maintain your soft skin.

6. Invest in an electric blanket

And for those who are looking to stay inside during the winter, it is great to have an electric blanket. In New York, sometimes no matter how high you turn your heat you still get cold. An electric blanket is the best way to stay warm and not run up on your heat bill. A great place to buy electric blanket is from Bed Bath and Beyond. They have a multitude of brands and sizes of electric blankets to choose from at great prices! 

Winters in New York are absolutely no joke and you need the right tools to survive through the extremely cold months. Make sure to invest in all of these products in order to stay safe this winter! 

Cover Photo by Teddy Kelley on Unsplash

I am a Video/Television and Film major with a Journalism Minor who is passionate about animals, movies, television, music, beaches and hiking. I enjoy spending time with my friends and going on adventures whether it is hiking or just taking a road trip.