How to Power Through the Remainder of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Plan out your Week

Look at your syllabi.. Plan out every assignment and test in your calendar. Set yourself checkpoints to avoid procrastination. This way you can plan your time accordingly and you won’t waste any. Finals will suck a lot less if you prepare now.

Work in the Library

A bunch of my friends say they can study in bed or in their room. I don’t get that. If I’m anywhere near my bed I am WAY more tempted to treat myself to a nap or 12 episodes of Law and Order: SVU. At the library those distraction aren’t there to bother you.

Try some time management apps

My favorite time management/work organization apps are:

My Study Life – which organizes your calendar and to do list and reminds you of impending deadlines

Rescue Time – This app will send you a weekly report of which websites you waste the most time on, you’ll be surprised how much time you waste

Focus Booster – This app utilizes the pomodoro method (breaking up tasks so that you focus for short periods of time and reward yourself with a break)

Keep your grades organized

I personally have an excel spreadsheet where I use formulas to calculate my grade for each class and updates each time I add and assignment grade and then calculates those into my final and cumulative GPAs. To some this may seem more stressful, but to me it helps keep me accountable to each assignment and aware of the big picture.

Get excited for the summer!

Whether you have an internship, a job, or some downtime to chill, the summer is going to be awesome. Keep motivating yourself forward toward the great summer you’re going to have. However, don’t countdown to summer. It’s just depressing.

Make a motivational playlist

Make a playlist of your favorite motivational songs and throw it on whenever you’re feeling the mid-spring blues. Or you can listen to mine!

Hit the gym.

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people get way more done and are incredibly focused.

If you’ve saved your absences, take a mental health day.

If you didn’t use all of your excused absences in the beginning of the semester, use one now. Take a day and go to the beach, get some ice cream, do something fun!

Remember that just because spring break is over, doesn’t mean the semester is.

Spring Break may feel like the beginning of summer break, but it isn’t. We’ve still got two months left so don’t check out yet.

TREAT YO’ SELF

Reward yourself with a present to yourself. Some fro-yo? New sweatpants? A nice notebook? A set of gel pens? Whatever makes you happy.

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.