How to Make Your Significant Other Feel at Home on Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For many people Thanksgiving is their favorite holiday, a time for good food and good company. In most cases, Thanksgiving is the time to be home and surrounded by the people you love the most. However, as people grow older and relationships develop one of those people you love becomes your significant other. So someone makes a sacrifice and spends Thanksgiving with their better half and his or her family, which means they will be missing out on a lot of traditions at their own home, but hey, at least they have you. Everyone wants to feel at home on Thanksgiving so if you’re bringing your loved one home for the holiday follow these five steps to make them feel at home too!

Step 1: Tell your family about him ahead of time (Good things of course)

Give your family a little background information about them, for example their hobbies, occupation, likes and dislikes. This way your family knows what to expect and when uncle ‘so and so’ walks over to your partner and says, “so I heard you’re a big Mets fan,” conversation will be started and it will make your partner happy to know you’ve talked about them.

Step 2: Tell him about your family

Just like its good for your family to know a little about your partner, he should have some family knowledge under his belt as well. Tell your partner a few family members names, and interest that way when your partner meets them it wont seem like the first time. (Caution- don’t overload your partner with information or make him feel pressured to remember, you want them to feel relaxed.)

Step 3: Make one of their favorite Thanksgiving dishes

Thanksgiving is all about the food, and although almost everyone enjoys a traditional turkey the side dishes can vary quite a bit, and for some people the meal just isn’t complete without their favorite dish on the table. So figure out what their favorite dish is, get the recipe and serve it with dinner… This is sure to make them think of home. Even if it’s not perfect they will be flattered that you thought of it.

Step 4: Introduce and include.

No one likes to stand in a room where they don’t know anyone, so introduce your partner to everyone you talk to and although you’ll enjoy catching up with family and reminiscing old memories, include your partner in the conversation.

Step 5: Incorporate one of their Thanksgiving traditions

Other than food many people have Thanksgiving traditions, this might include watching football or a Thanksgiving parade. Find out what your partner does at home on Thanksgiving and try to incorporate some aspect of that into your day.

Follow these five simple steps and your significant other will definitely feel at home on Thanksgiving and when it’s time to go around the table and give thanks, your sweetheart will be thankful for you. 

Brionna Rivers is a Sophomore at Hofstra University. She is currently majoring in Journalism with a minor in drama. 
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!