Life > Experiences

How to Keep in Touch With Your Best Friend From Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Missing your best friend from home is definitely one of the worst feelings ever when you know you won’t be seeing them for a while. You look through pictures of the two of you, and you just can’t help but wish they could be there with you. Obviously, calling every once in a while is great, but have you ever wondered about some more fun and cute ways of staying in touch and letting them know you’re thinking of them? Here are a few creative ways to let your best friend know that you love and miss them!

Photo Courtesy of Katie Pericak

If something makes you think of them, let them know.

Are you ever walking around campus and something catches your eye that makes you think, “My best friend would DIE if they saw this here right now”? Send them a picture! Sometimes it’s an inside joke, sometimes it’s a picture of your guys’ favorite celebrity, or sometimes it’s a video of an A capella group on campus singing your guys’ song. Also, sending each other funny tweets is a big plus if you can do that.

Send them little mementos of what’s happening in your life.

If you can, mail your best friend something that shows them what you’re up to right now! If you’re in some sort of show, send them a program from it. Or maybe you’ve just landed a super cool internship and you can send them a copy of your acceptance letter into the program. Sending them pictures over text totally works too; anything to let your best friend know some of the fun things you’ve been up to lately!

Photo Courtesy of Maddie Merinuk

Make Them a Playlist.

This one is my personal favorite. A playlist of songs that remind you of your best friend; songs that you and your best friend love to jam out to together, or anything you think they would like! One of the best things to do when you’re missing someone is listen to songs that make you think of them; your best friend is sure to love this.

Photo Courtesy of Madie Mento

Text them quotes from movies/TV shows/videos you both know.

Looking at your phone and seeing this kind of text from your best friend is honestly the best. I know it always makes me smile, and sometimes it’s the perfect set-up for you to send the next part of the quote back. This kind of communication says, “I miss you” without having to actually say the words. You both just know.

Photo Courtesy of Sarah Hanlon

Send them food.

What better way to show your love for someone than food? Uber eats, Postmates, and GrubHub are three apps that are an easy way to do this, but some places don’t have these to deliver to them yet. If that’s the case, you’re going to have to do some research on other delivery places near your friend. Either way, they’re going to get a delicious surprise at their door, and all thanks to you!

Photo Courtesy of Katie Pericak

And there you have it! Some creative and fun ways to keep in touch with your best friend at home. FaceTime and phone dates are definitely still good to have, but if you ever want to try some out-of-the-box ways to show you care, try some of these ideas out! You can never do too much when you want someone to know you’re thinking of them.

Katie Pericak

Hofstra '21

Katie is a B.F.A. Theatre Arts Performance major with a Journalism minor at Hofstra University! Along with being a writer for Her Campus, Katie also enjoys crime TV shows, nutella, and naps. She is also still mourning the break-up of One Direction. If anyone knows of any good vegan restaurants anywhere, please let her know ASAP.