priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash
priscilla du preez WacbrU86JIw unsplash

How to Handle A Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Being in a relationship is wonderful. Being miles and miles away from the person you’re in a relationship with is not.  

When you care a lot about someone, being far away from him or her for weeks or even months can seem excruciating. It’s hard being away from the person who feels like your other half. You may start to feel like things just won’t work out or that your time apart will be too overwhelming. But never fear. There are ways of making the best out of the time that you two aren’t together.  

First and foremost, before you even leave each other, ask your partner to give you something he or she owns. It can be a T-shirt or a book, or anything else that you will be able to hold or wear in order to feel close to them. If they wear a particular cologne or perfume, I would also recommend spraying it on the item. The scent may only last a few days, but the item will be something that you can keep near you whenever you are really missing your significant other.  

When you’re in a long distance relationship, FaceTime (or any other video- call apps) will be your best friend. Try to schedule a call at least once a week. It will be something that you both can look forward to. Seeing your loved one’s face, even just for an hour or two, can really make your day. If you have the ability to, Facetiming through the night from your laptop (which will need to be plugged in) is also a great way to feel closer to your loved one. Sometimes the call is disrupted and ends during the night, but you’ll find comfort falling sleep “next to them.”

When you are video calling each other, you should include plans for the next time you will see each other in your conversation. Whether you have a big trip planned or just plans to binge watch a TV show on Netflix, both of you will have something to look forward to. And every few weeks you can expand on your plans. It will be a fun idea to keep up with throughout the time you are apart.

Your significant other isn’t the only one you should have the urge to talk to during this time. Try reaching out to friends who are going through the same thing or have experienced a long distance relationship. There are many reasons why one could be separated from their partner. Some common reasons are that the two attend different school or one spent time abroad. Regardless of each couple’s different situations, you can find someone who has had this kind of experience and will be able to relate to what you are going through. Talking to them about your feelings is a great way to vent, and they often are able to provide you with the best words of comfort.

But the most important thing you should do when you are in a long distance relationship is not direct your entire focus on missing your significant other. As hard as the situation may feel, you still have a plethora of great opportunities surrounding you. Don’t waste your time feeling upset; make the best of your time apart! Keeping yourself occupied will distract you from missing them too much.  And don’t spend the entire day texting them. Give each other a break for a few hours. Of course you’re still going to talk to them in some way throughout the day, but instead of being glued to your phone, take up a new activity or enjoy a day out with your friends. Your significant other will still be there to talk at the end of the day.

Being in a long distance relationship can be hard, but there are ways to make it work. A strong relationship can withstand any distance. And the best part is, when you finally do get to see your significant other, you two will be completely ecstatic. Fireworks will feel like they are going off in the distance.

Journalism and English: Publishing major at Hofstra University, Class of 2017
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.