Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Happy Fun Laughing Girls
Cassie Howard / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

How Greek Life shaped my Hofstra experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When I first came to Hofstra fall of 2019, I was nervous and shy, but ultimately excited to begin this new chapter of my life. I switched between about three majors before I even began classes. The world was completely unknown to me and I had no idea where I would end up in it. I felt lost and alone since I was five hours away from home and knew nobody here. I decided to go to meet the greeks during Welcome Weekend and was overwhelmed with an influx of passionate, supportive women trying to talk to me. For a moment, while talking to all these wonderful women, I forgot that I don’t know exactly who I am or who I want to be. Joining Greek life has taught me that it’s okay to not know just who I am and nobody expects you to.

three silhouettes in orange sunset
Photo by Levi Guzman from Unsplash
I was unsure of whether or not I wanted to go to rounds freshman year. I was nervous I wouldn’t be viewed as the typical “sorority girl,” but after deciding to give it a shot, I realized my view was far from the truth. Every single person I talked to at rounds made me feel at ease. I felt as if I actually belonged in a sisterhood and from that day on I knew it was exactly what I needed at this point in my life. I have only been in this organization for a year now, but I have grown more in this past year than I have my entire life. Each and every connection I have made throughout this journey has helped me to become the person I am today and I couldn’t thank them enough.

Anna Shvets via Pexels
Coming into a new school with new people, I was scared about whether or not I would make any friends. I met people through my dorm and from class, but I wanted deeper connections than that. When I met the sisters of Alpha Theta Beta, I immediately felt at home. I knew these were women I wanted to be lifelong friends with. Not only do we all share the same values, but we also support each other through everything. I would not have gotten through this last year without my sisters. They’ve taught me invaluable life skills that I wish I knew much earlier. Skills I can use in school, in my career and just throughout life itself. One of the most important ones was time management. Prior to joining a sorority, I barely even understood the concept of managing my time. But now, I am beyond organized when it comes to my schedule. I never could have done that without Greek life.

group of diverse people holding hands
Photo by Wylly Suhendra from Unsplash

I went through recruitment in the Spring of 2020. This was the semester that we got sent home due to COVID-19. I had barely gotten my bid when Hofstra informed us we had to leave campus. I was terrified. Not only was so much unknown, but I had just joined an organization in which I had no time to actually bond with any of my sisters. Luckily for me, social distancing did not prevent these connections from forming. From Netflix parties to Zoom nights, we found ways to make online events successful. I am so thankful I became a sister prior to lockdown. If I had to go through the first lockdown alone (mentally, obviously), then I would have actually gone insane. Being a member of Alpha Theta Beta gave me a purpose. They motivated me to go above and beyond what I believed I was capable of. 

Four people holding each other in shades of purple
Photo by Vonecia Carswell from Unsplash

To be completely honest, If I didn’t join Greek life my freshman year, I probably would not be in college anymore. My sisters encourage me to keep pushing forward when things get difficult and remind me that I am capable of anything I set my mind to. My Hofstra experience would be completely different if I never took that leap of faith and gone to rounds. 

Kayla is a junior at Hofstra University, majoring in journalism and minoring in creative writing and public relations. She has a passion for writing and traveling. A future aspiration of hers consists of becoming a travel writer, or working for a magazine. If you ever need to find her, I recommend checking the mall because she loves spending all her money on clothes that she doesn't need. When not shopping, she can be found watching something on Disney Plus(probably Tangled).