How to get yourself in the holiday spirit right tf now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, it’s finally socially acceptable to express your excitement for the holidays. But with holiday decor being put up as early as October in some cases, it’s easy to get your seasonal moods mixed up, and feel tired of the holiday season before it even begins. So if you’re currently struggling to get in the holiday spirit, look no further than this list to transform yourself into a real-life Buddy the Elf in no time.

Play some holiday music

photo by David Beale

It doesn’t matter if it’s in the middle of July; hearing Christmas music always gets me excited for the holiday season. The second that first chorus hits in “All I Want For Christmas Is You,” it’s impossible not to be in the holiday spirit. Turn on your favorite festive playlist, or pull up one of Spotify’s convenient pre-made ones, and get ready for some serious holiday vibes.

Watch a classic Christmas movie

Without a doubt, one of the best things about the holidays is the vast collection of movies that come along with the season. Whether you like classic old-Hollywood flicks, claymation or comedies, there is a Christmas movie out there for you. Tune into ABC’s annual “25 Days of Christmas” series, dig out an old DVD, or queue up the last Netflix original, and prepare to have your heart warmed.

Decorate

If you’re still not feeling the holiday spirit internally, you can at least make sure your surroundings reflect the mood. It’s much easier to be in a holiday mood when you’re surrounded by cute seasonal decor. Pick up a wreath and some fairy lights from target—whose dollar section is a treasure trove for holiday decor—and your dorm will instantly look festive af.

Get a festive drink

photo by Jasmin Shuler

Is it really the holiday season if you haven’t gotten an overpriced, way too sweet concoction from Starbucks in a fancy red cup? If you’re not yet in the holiday spirit, taking a sip of your favorite festive drink is the perfect first step. If you really want to go the extra mile, head to City Bakery in NYC and order a cup of hot chocolate. Their signature rich cocoa blend comes topped with a huge homemade marshmallow and is (in my opinion) the best cup of cocoa in the world.

Make holiday cards

photo by Annie Spratt.

When I find myself in times of trouble, I always turn to crafting. And when I find that I can’t get in the holiday spirit, I head straight to Michaels and buy enough seasonal craft supplies to support an entire day of production at the North Pole. An easy holiday craft that absolutely anyone can pull off is making homemade cards. Not only are they fun to make, but they also double as a perfect addition to your Christmas gifts!

Volunteer

If you really want to get to the heart of the holiday spirit, there’s nothing better than volunteering. Head down to your local soup kitchen, or donate to a Toy Drive, and it’ll be impossible for your heart to not grow a couple of sizes (yes, like the Grinch). The true spirit of the holiday season isn’t just about the fun songs and decorated storefronts; it’s about giving to others, so make sure you take the time to participate in that holiday tradition.

Don’t wait until the last minute to indulge in all the festive activities, because like most fun periods of time, the month of December will be over before you know it. If you’re still stuck in fall, try out these ideas and get yourself in the holiday spirit right tf now, so that you can fully experience and appreciate this year’s holiday season!

Kay is an English Lit major and Journalism minor at Hofstra University. She is the instagram editor of HC Hofstra, as well as a contributing writer. When she's not geeking out over 19th century novels, Kay is a lover of red lipstick, broadway shows, and aesthetic restaurant branding.