How to Get Involved at Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As a first year student I have been exposed to so many different clubs and activities on campus. From what I’ve learned, the best way to get involved at Hofstra is to go on the GetInvolved HU website formerly known as Collegiate Link on the Hofstra portal. This application lists over 200+ clubs and organizations for students to potentially get involved in. This application lets students know the primary contact of each club/organization and a short description of what each is about. There are filters that also narrow down the search based on a student’s major or interest.

Since I am a first year student, I have made it my mission to get involved as much as I can at Hofstra. It is important to get involved with more than one club so that you keep busy and don’t get bored, plus it looks great on a resume. Having a lot to do on campus makes things more exciting and you have the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends.

Since I started Hofstra last fall I have joined a bunch of clubs. Some of these clubs are, Habitat for Humanity, Pride Productions, Society of Professional Journalists, The Commuter Student Association and HerCampus, duh! All of these clubs serve different interests I have. I love helping the community so that is why I joined Habitat. I love film and television which drew me to join Pride Productions. Each club has different time commitments. As with all clubs, they don’t meet every week and some of them have a busier schedule than others.

Another way to get involved at Hofstra is not just with joining clubs/organizations. On the portal there is also the announcements tab which showcases events on campus. Usually the events are for all students unless specified otherwise. The TV’s around campus and fliers are a great way to notice what’s happening at Hofstra. Most of the events on campus are sponsored by the Office of Student Leadership and Engagement (OSLE) here at Hofstra. Every time I walk past the library I stumble upon the TV which shows an event, and I go, “Oh that sounds interesting” and I mark it on my phone or on a piece of paper I have handy.

It is so important to get involved at Hofstra or anywhere you go to college because that is where you make some of the memories that you will take with you for the rest of your life!

I am a freshman at Hofstra University. I am from Long Island, NY and I am a broadcast journalism major. I am an avid photographer, traveler, artist and writer.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.