How to Build Your Perfect Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Whether you’re a skincare expert or a beauty newbie, it’s never too soon (or too late) to create a perfect skincare routine.

Skincare is deeply personal: what works for your favorite YouTube beauty guru might not work for you – but there are some basic steps that you can incorporate into your daily routine to get the best skin of your life.

Be sure to actually cleanse your face twice a day.

Cleansing your face is just like brushing your teeth – no matter how tired or busy you are, you absolutely can find an extra five minutes for it. Think of your skin like a canvas. If you want a gorgeous, glowing complexion, you need to start with a clean base.

If you have oily skin, consider trying a cleansing oil. Believe it or not, using an oil can help control your skin’s natural dewiness. Oil binds with oil, so using a product like this twice a day will clear away the bad oil while leaving your skin looking naturally fresh and glowy.

If your skin is dry or normal, reach for a cleansing gel or cream. Not only will this formula nourish dry spots, it’ll give you the perfect amount of hydration for healthy looking skin.

A post shared by Glossier (@glossier) on

Add a toner to your morning and night routine.

Toning is an extra step to get rid of any makeup, dirt and toxins that you didn’t wash away when you cleansed. Put some on a cotton pad and sweep it over your face – you’ll be shocked to see how much extra “gunk” is still left behind! Be sure to look for an alcohol free toner so that you don’t dry out your skin.

A post shared by Neutrogena (@neutrogena) on

Prevent early aging with an eye cream.

Ladies, it’s ~never~ too soon to start preventing those wrinkles. After you tone and before you moisturize, tap on an eye cream to your under-eyes. Not only will this step help lighten dark circles (something our daily lattes can’t seem to do) it’ll help prevent dreaded signs of aging like wrinkles and crow’s feet.

A post shared by Fresh (@freshbeauty) on

Moisturize!

No matter what your skin type is, moisturizing is a step you can’t skip. Your skin is thirsty, so you need to give it the hydration it craves! Girls with dry skin know this struggle – reaching for a thick moisturizer will keep your skin dewy all day long. And if you have oily skin, that’s no excuse to skip this step. Your oily skin might be the product of not having enough moisture – so your skin overproduces oil to make up for it. Add a moisturizer to your routine to quench your skin’s thirst.

A post shared by Olay Skincare (@olay) on

Add in fun extras.

We’re talking sheet masks, clay masks, serums, gel eye masks – the works! Treat yourself (and your skin) to these fun extras based on your skin’s needs.

Whether you need an anti-acne serum, a rejuvenating sheet mask, or an exfoliating clay mask, add these extras to your skincare routine two to three times every week.

A post shared by Origins (@origins) on

Use these steps as a guide to create a basic skincare routine. Find products formulated just for your skin type and add in extra products for your targeted needs – after religiously sticking to a routine for a few months, you’ll get the best skin of your life! 

Cover image by Charisse Kenion. 

Sarah Hanlon is a senior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a major in journalism. She almost always has an iced coffee in her hand, and she's an avid lover of online shopping, reality TV, and New York City. When she’s not researching all things Kate Middleton or reading lifestyle blogs, you can find her binge watching The Bachelor or writing about the latest pop culture, fashion and beauty trends. After college, she hopes to make a career out of her love for TV and style in New York. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram: sarahhanlon_.