How and Why I Cut My Own Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

College is expensive, and I’m all about saving money. If I’m capable of doing something on my own and can avoid paying someone else to do it, then you had better expect to find me doing it myself.

This is how I feel about getting my hair cut professionally. I recently decided to chop off 5 inches of my hair by myself because I guess I was feeling risky and figured that if I messed up, I could always get someone else to fix it. However, this was not the case because I think I did a pretty fantastic job.

I first started cutting my own hair the week before my high school graduation in 2016. I didn’t want to spend money getting a haircut, especially since I only needed a trim. My aunt from out of town was visiting that weekend, and she told me that she would be able to cut my hair for me. I watched her do it in the mirror, and she made it look so easy.

From there, all I did was buy myself a cheap pair of cutting shears from Walmart, watched a couple of tutorials on Youtube, and pinned a few ‘How-Tos’ on Pinterest. The first time cutting my hair by myself was a little bit nerve-wracking because I was afraid of messing up. But all you have to do is have a little faith in yourself, and cut!

At the end of the day, it’s just hair and it will always grow back. As long as you pace yourself and take your time, it’s hard to mess it up.

I found cutting my hair to really be quite simple. It is also very cost-effective, and since high school, I’ve probably saved at least $400 on haircuts. I have sworn to myself that I will never get another professional haircut again because nobody noticed that I cut my hair by myself. Everyone who I told was both terrified, and impressed.

The methods that I personally use when I cut my hair is what works best for me. Therefore, I cannot guarantee that this will be the best way for everyone to do it because it really depends on your hair length, style, texture, and the shape of your face.

When I cut my hair, I tend to cut it dry. I have done it both wet and dry in the past, and I definitely prefer cutting it dry because I have wavy/curly hair. I always cut in layers to assure that I don’t miss any pieces, as well as to keep the length even.

I tie most of my hair up and out of the way so that I can start with the innermost layer. I measure the length out with my fingers and cut in small sections all the way across my head. Then I let down the next layer and measure that up to the layer I cut previously.

This is not the most professional way to cut hair, but it has worked for me for over a year and I haven’t had to spend a penny on getting haircuts and trims throughout college thus far.

Journalism Major | Radio Television Film Minor | Fine Arts Minor Hofstra University Class of 2020