Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Bgb Editor\'S Letter Hero Image
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

How to Achieve Glowing Skin in the Dry Winter Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With the trend of glowing, Glossier bare-faces in the world of beauty, it’s hard to achieve that effortless glow in the midst of the winter. Conquering New York winters is hard enough, and while a face of foundation may act as a winter coat, there are other ways to protect your skin from the harsh wind and low temperatures. Whether you sport a full face to class everyday or want to switch up your skincare routine to accomplish a spring-break level radiance in the snow, here’s how to get that “model off duty” fresh face. 

Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! 

You have to start with a hydrating moisturizing before you adjust anything in your skincare routine. CeraVe is a drugstore brand that has a variety of moisturizers if you’re looking for a specific day and night formula. You can also try adding an oil to your everyday moisturizer for an added boost! Both Ashley Graham and Taraji P. Henson have stated that they apply a Vitamin E serum along with their moisturizers every day and night (and I trust anything they say).

Swap Out Your Normal Primer for a Hydrating Face Oil

While your everyday makeup primer may help your full face last all day, an all natural face oil can give you a long lasting look with an extra boost of hydration. If you’re like me, and you  have no clue what face oil is right for you, try applying a 100% coconut or rose oil after your moisturizer; it’ll naturally blend into your face makeup without looking greasy. 

Go Easy On the Highlighter

The trend of intense highlight seems as if it won’t be going anywhere soon, but avoid packing on the holographic glow. Applying a cream-based glow with your fingers, and it will melt on top of your cheekbones to accentuatuate your natural features for a radiant glow-from-within.

Use a Dewy Foundation Year-Round

My goal is to break the stigma about having a “summer” and “winter” formula to your everyday foundation. Using a dewy, light-weight formula year round allows for a natural looking amount of coverage and gets rid of that cakey, dry look.

I’ve been using Maybelline’s Fit Me Foundation since high school, and it’s the best $8 I’ve ever spent. 

Exfoliate Away Your Dry Skin!!!

You can’t show off your glowing skin if you don’t get rid of the dullness! Exfoliating regularly (just once or twice a week, don’t overdo it) will help bring blood to the surface of your skin for a fresh look and allow your newest layer of skin to shine. 

Don’t forget to invest in a lip scrub as well!

Ariana Blow Kiss
Giphy

Combatting freezing temperatures does not have to affect your everyday look. A few simple changes can bring out the natural glow in your skin, no sun required!

Laramie is a sophomore studying mass media studies and sociology from Dallas, Texas. She is a true Taurus who loves discussing movies and recommending music. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her brothers of Zeta Phi Eta and sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram: @laramieknox.