How to Ace an Internship Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Spring semester is coming up fast and many students are getting ready to land their first internship. Whether you are looking to work at an accounting firm or with a movie producer, nailing your interview is the most important part of getting an internship. Here are 5 ways to make sure you get the job, because there is so much more to an interview than perfecting your resume and dressing professionally. 

Practice Your Handshake

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Nothing is more awkward for an employer than reaching out and grasping a limp hand of an interviewee.

Do this: Have a firm handshake to show you are serious about the position.

Not this: Have a limp handshake that makes you look weak and unqualified.

“Statistics show that only about 7% of the emotional meaning in a message is composed of the actual words we use. About 38% in communication is through the tone of our voice and 55 % comes through nonverbal communication, which includes facial expressions, gestures, and posture. Handshakes and a proper eye contact are part of that 55%” – Adam Shepard, Blinkd.com

Ask Questions About the Company

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay 

Asking specific questions about the company you are interviewing for shows that you took the time to research and learn about them.

Do this:  Ask things like, “What does a typical day in the office look like?”

Not this:  Ask questions that prompt a yes/no answer because they are a conversation killer.

Mimic Body Language

Photo Courtesy of Pexels

Without trying to look like you are mimicking your interviewer, be conscious of their actions and try to reply with similar body language.

Do this: Lean towards the table if the interviewer leans closer to you. 

Not this: Change the tone of your voice to match theirs. It will sound like you are mocking them.

“If your interviewer tilts his/her head, do the same as if you are seeing yourself in a mirror. If he/she is leaning in left, you lean in left. If he/she speaks fast, you speak fast. But don’t let your interviewer be aware of what you are doing. Otherwise, it is not mirroring, but mimicry, which is insulting. The objective is to influence the subconscious mind of your interviewer.” – Alan Tai, Medium.com

Be Honest About Your Weaknesses

Photo Courtesy of Unsplash

Companies would rather you admit your weaknesses and try to improve them than lie to sound more qualified for a job.

Do this: Admit that you sometimes are unorganized, but that you are working on becoming more of an organized person.

Not this: Say your weakness is that you’re too much of a perfectionist or anything along those lines. Chances are the last person that interviewed before you said the same thing. 

Follow Up

Photo Courtesy of Pixabay

No matter how you think the interview went, reach out to the company and let them know you appreciated their time.

Do this:  Send an email saying, “Thank you so much for having me in the office today, I look forward to hearing from you soon.”

Not this:  Send an overly casual email saying something like, “Hey- thanks for today! Talk to u soon.” Even if they were friendly to you at the office, they are NOT your friend. Always be professional.

These 5 simple steps will help you rock that interview and get the job you know you deserve!