Hofstra Students Top 5 Favorite Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The smell of Christmas cookies can be found wafting throughout many dorms at Hofstra and the classic sound of Christmas jingles is being sung from door to door, but one dilemma strikes students across campus. How do you decide which Christmas movie to watch? There is only so much time left before finals. Some Hofstra students shared their favorite Christmas movies, and I’d say these are the best of all time. So if you’re left to choose, take a look at this list, and view some of your fellow collegiate’s favorites. 

1. Elf

This movie, without a doubt, strikes the top of the list. Throw Will Ferrell into any movie and it’s a classic of course, but add an elf costume and Christmas carols and the movie is perfection.

“Elf because Will Ferrell is hilarious even in a PG movie and I have watched that movie every Christmas, its like a tradition for me” –Ryan Byrne

Not only is it tradition for one, but also over 10 students have said that every year they watch Elf countless times to get into the holiday spirit, and I couldn’t think of a better way to do so. The classic stars Will Ferrell and James Caan and is all about the life of a boy who was raised as an elf, searching the real world for his father. He is forced to learn to adapt to everyday life. Christmas jingles and holiday spirit is spread all throughout the movie.

“Elf!!! Because mayple syrup on spaghetti is my kind of man!” – CapriAnna Marie

“Obviously Elf because it’s hilarious and captures the spirit of Christmas!” –Michelle Jacques

2. The Year Without A Santa Claus

This movie falls in with a close second and is one of my personal favorites. With Shirley Booth and Mickey Rooney, this animated film is years old but still airs every year without fail. The classic heat miser makes the movie for many young children, but it will throw you into a memory shock and you’ll find yourself singing along to every song. If you only watch one thing from the movie, make sure you check out Heat Miser and Snow Miser’s song.

And don’t worry, if you love the movie along with your little siblings, there are many other collegiates your age out there loving it too!

The Year Without a Santa Clause. I don’t know what it is about the snow miser and the heat miser but it just puts me right in the Christmas mood.” – Elissa Salamy

3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Another Christmas classic with many versions, but of course the most recent is the most popular. Surprisingly, many still fall in love with this one, even though it includes a mean Grinch and his dog companion. The key to the love of this movie is Cindy Lou Who. Who doesn’t love a little girl with pigtails that just wants to spread the love of Christmas? With her song “Where are you Christmas?” your love for Christmas will grow, just like the Grinch’s heart, and you wont be able to turn this classic off.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, it is hilarious and truly captures the real meaning of Christmas!” – Sydney Ruggieri

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, because he is the Grinch and he is green. Well, and he doesn’t like Christmas,” – Ashley Francis

4. The Santa Clause

One of the biggest Tim Allen classics, this movie is definitely a collegiate favorite. How can one not love a normal man who is suddenly transformed into a Santa Clause? Taking you from North America straight into the North Pole, this classic is nothing short of a Christmas journey. Hofstra students love this one for it’s inclusion of Santa and the ever so classic bad guy, but the resolution of the movie that shows what Christmas is truly about. Check out Tim Allen’s excellent performance in this movie if you’re looking for a good laugh.

5. Four Christmases

A much more modern Christmas classic, this movie is full of holiday spirit, laughter, and love. Taking you right into the homes of four different families who come together for Christmas, it is no less than an amazing romantic comedy. But what is better than love and joy combined during the holiday? Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn make for a perfect team in this movie and collegiates will laugh their way into the holiday with this movie.

Four Christmases is pure love and joy, with a little bit of bickering too, but who doesn’t have that around this time of year? It captures everyone’s holiday season in one shot!” – Marisa Russell

I am a Freshman at Hofstra and I am currently studying Journalism. I love all things writing and reporting, as well as editing. I love sports, fashion, and music, my hope is to one day be able to write for a magazine geared towards entertainment. I love all things girl and Her Campus is my go to nightly read. Contact me at mrussell1@pride.hofstra.edu.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!