free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Hofstra Students’ Biggest Mistakes As Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We’ve all made mistakes, but do most of you remember your biggest one as a freshman in college? We interviewed a few students asking what they considered to be their biggest mistake or regret as a freshman at Hofstra University.

Shane Peters

Major: Biology

Class: ‘16

Q: What was your biggest mistake made here at Hofstra as a freshman?

A: Staying with my major instead of switching into another one.

Q: So if you could go back, you’d definitely change your major?

A: Yeah I probably would have tried to find a major I actually enjoyed. I should have listened to my gut instinct.

Q: Any advice for freshmen that might be in similar situations?

A: Don’t ignore your gut instinct if you feel your major might not be for you. Experiment with different classes to see which field you might be most interested in if you aren’t sure of your major anymore.

Michael Brancazio

Major: Health Science

Class: ‘16

Question: What was your biggest mistake made here at Hofstra as a freshman?

Answer: It would have to be starting off as a biology major.

Q: Would you have avoided this mistake?

A: I wouldn’t have avoided it. It was inevitable. It taught me a lot about what I dislike in life. So I guess in that sense, you could say I don’t really regret it or consider it to be truly a mistake.

A: Don’t regret your mistakes because in the end, they’re necessary. As long as you recognize those mistakes, you can learn from them.

Askhen Oganesyan

Major: Economics

Class ‘18

A: Dropping a class too late. My parents had advised me that it’s better not to withdraw from certain classes.

Q: How would you have avoided this mistake?A: I would have studied harder for that class. Or I would have just signed up for another class from the very beginning.

Q: Any advice for freshmen that might be in similar situations?A: I would say think carefully before you choose your classes.

Jibran Shah

Major: Community Health

Class: ‘16

A: My biggest mistake of freshman year would be going home as soon as classes were over. I was scared of getting out there and joining new organizations. If I stayed on campus and explored opportunities sooner, I would have been better off.

Q: Were you given advice prior to this mistake? Did anyone ever warn you, maybe a parent, older sibling or friend, to not make this type of mistake?

A: Professors and tour guides told me to take an active role on campus as a commuter.

Q: Looking back at it, how would you have avoided this mistake?

A: I would have probably tried to join a fraternity. There really is no escape from growing and meeting people; I would have gotten involved sooner through an organization or group of some sort.

A: Don’t be afraid to try new things no matter where it is, especially when you’re at college or in a different group of people Be involved wherever you are. You will grow even if you don’t notice it right away.

Arnrow Domingo

Major: Psychology

Class: ‘16

A: My biggest mistake would be not trying to meet more people. Also not branching out to different clubs on campus.

Q: If you could go back, would you undo this mistake?

A: In a way, no I wouldn’t because though I didn’t cover “distance”, I facilitated “depth”. I was able to develop meaningful friendships with who I did know; people who I’m still close to today.

Q: Any advice for freshmen that might be in similar situations?A: Try everything!

Jonathan Cordero

Major: Mechanical Engineering

Class ‘17

A: My biggest regret was taking my first set of tests way too lightly. I didn’t study as much from the beginning of the semester, but I still managed to get A’s and B’s by the end after putting in more effort.

Q: Looking back at it, do you think it helped you in a way?

A: I think it helped me grow because now I know I have to study more. This made me realize the seriousness of college and that it’s really not like high school.

A: Don’t take college lightly. You should have fun, but school is a priority. You’re paying a lot of money to be here.

Tamara Ishanova

Major: International Business

Class: ‘18

A: Taking multiple difficult classes all in one semester.

A: No, I thought it wouldn’t be that hard taking all those classes at once.

Q: Would you have tried to take the harder classes during different semesters?

A: I would have avoided it by taking just 1 hard class per semester.

A: Don’t overload your schedule your freshman year.

Evidently, college is meant for learning and many of us can agree that most of us have made very similar mistakes as freshmen. For those who are currently freshmen, particularly those who can relate to these students, be sure to keep some of these suggestions in mind!

Areeba Khan

Hofstra '18

Areeba earned her Master of Health Administration from Hofstra University with distinction after graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology from Hofstra. She currently works at Northwell Direct as a Project Manager. When she's not reading or writing, Areeba is usually trying out a new restaurant or dessert spot with her friends.
MN native navigating NY one selfie at a time. Senior Journalism student at Hofstra University and current HC Chapter Advisor.