From Hofstra to Hostel: Preparing for Transitional Seasons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Going abroad for a semester has its challenges on its own. Initially many pack for the season they are entering and forget that like time, the seasons change. When studying abroad for the fall semester you should also be prepared for the winter that follows and when studying abroad in the spring semester be prepared for the drastic temperature upwards. 

But completely ignore me if you’re studying abroad in Central/South America or Eastern Europe because the temperature extremes don’t show signs of wavering in a four-month period.

Fall Semester:

Ok you’ve got the easy end of a study abroad experience! Although you may be entering a colder climate the one thing you have to worry about is layering. Pre-departure your shopping list should go as follows: cardigans, sweaters, simple tees, leggings and 3 pairs of boots – brown, black and snow/rain resistant!

All you have to worry about is vacuum packing jackets because of course they take up the most room! If these get to heavy save a little extra to buy the thick winter jacket once the weather starts to shift from a chill temp to get me out of here I’m freezing!

Pro Tip: if you are travelling to Europe than go to Primark for both practical and stylish jackets, its equivalent and almost less than Forever 21 prices and quality!

Spring Semester:

This is definitely a tricky semester! Because you’ll be arriving in winter gear but will still be around long enough to go to the beach your luggage will be extremely diverse. While I don’t suggest you attempt to bring the entirety of your winter and spring wardrobe it is best to approach this by layering.

Just like the students studying abroad in the fall, layering from the start is easier that way all you have to worry about in the warming months is removing your cardigan and I suggest buying shorts. Dresses get expensive so my suggestion is to bring those that you favor from home however a few shorts in your wardrobe won’t kill your budget.

Pro Tip: In the event that you are shopping to replace your winter clothes with summer, which I highly recommend, this means you’ll be sacrificing suitcase space too. Based on that, most shipping companies offer a lesser price if you buy the slow delivery option, which can take up to three months. Before you panic, when you send your winter gear and come home for the summer, you wont need any of that for a solid three months anyways! 

Gear up and shop!

~ Safe Travels
Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.