Hofstra Hello: WRHU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Ever wonder who some of the people are behind the scenes of one of the best college radio station’s in the country? WRHU, here at Hofstra University, garners interest from students of a variety of majors and interests, with the main intention of spreading news and music throughout campus and the island.

I had the chance to sit down with two members of WRHU, Ariana Ringstrom and Salvatore Guardino, to tell me what the station is about, why they joined and what it has to offer.

But first, let’s start with the basics!

Hometown:

Wallingford, CT (AR)

Smithtown, NY (SG)

Major/Minor:

Video/TV and Writing Studies minor (AR)

Video/TV & Business (SG)

Position:

Airwave Producer, I DJ every other Monday night from 9-11 PM on the indie music show Airwave (AR)

Engineer for Souvenir D’italia Saturdays 10am-Noon and Video Editor and Facebook Manager for The Screening Room Sundays 10am – 11am (SG)

What is WRHU all about?:

We’re number one! (Our General Manager is very proud that we have now been the #1 non-commercial station ranked by the Princeton Review for two years running) (AR)

A unique Hofstra experience that allows students to get real world broadcast training. An awesome organization you won’t find at other schools. (SG)

Why Did You Join?:

I joined because I grew up being obsessed with music and I always wanted to host my own music show. Also on my tour of Hofstra as a senior in high school, I fell in love with the studios and opportunities WRHU has to offer. (AR)

To learn more about being on the Radio. (SG)

What do you do on a daily basis there:

As a music producer, I update our music library once a week or every other week so other Airwave DJs have current music to play on their shows. I also have the opportunity to interview bands either on the phone or in the studio. (AR)

What’s Been Your Favorite Memory So Far?:

Definitely when I traveled down to Bonnaroo Music Festival in Nashville, TN last summer to report for WRHU…for FREE! The music director and I were able to go backstage and even interview Brooklyn-based band X Ambassadors! It was one of the best 4 days of my life. (AR)

A few times when people were sick and/or unavailable for their slots, I have had the opportunity to DJ Off The Charts (The station’s Top 40 show) in their absence. (SG)

Along with a wonderful music program, WRHU is also home to Long Island’s biggest news team as well as the only college radio station to have a contract with a professional sports team, being the flagship station of the New York Islanders. Looking to apply? Head into the main office in the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication and ask for an application!

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.