Hofstra Hello: Student Athlete Kim Tran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Name: Kim Tran

Hometown: East Hartford, Connecticut

Year of Graduation: May of 2016

What sport do you play for Hofstra University?

I play rugby!

What motivated you to start playing rugby?

I played soccer for 10 years growing up and I was too physical for it. So I knew that rugby was my calling.

Have you won any awards?

For rugby, I was recognized as one of the 55 2014-2015 Women’s Collegiate All-American in the United States

Is there a reason why you chose Hofstra?

I chose Hofstra because it wasn’t too far or too close to home.

What’s it like being a student athlete at Hofstra?

It’s tough balancing practice and game times with my academics and work schedule. It’s not impossible. If you prioritize everything then it can get done!

Besides sports, what do you like doing around campus?

I like attending the program’s about social justice on campus.

What’s a few interesting facts about you?

I am Vietnamese, Chinese and Black. I speak Vietnamese fluently. I played soccer since I was 10. I was All-State three times in track. And I have my first degree black belt in Kaze-Kai Shotokan Karate!

If you could have any advice for other student athletes, what would it be?

If I could advise other student athletes, I would tell them to keep pushing for it. Because you don’t know your limit until you test it. As long as you work hard for it, you will see results.

Just a college girl with a love of all animals, delicious food and *super* sappy love stories. You can probably find me in bed binge-watching crime shows on Netflix with a tub of Ben & Jerry's on hand. Phish Food, of course!HCHofstra Social Media Editor (Twitter) and Contributing Writer. Web Intern at Cosmopolitan.com, prev. Web and Features Intern at Marie Claire and The Fashion Foot.
MN native navigating NY one selfie at a time. Senior Journalism student at Hofstra University and current HC Chapter Advisor.