This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Who doesn’t love listening to music? And, if we’re all being honest– who doesn’t love singing too? Whether it’s singing in the shower or singing along to the radio, we all have a bit of that musician in us. Luckily, for those brave enough (and talented enough!) to showcase their abilities and skills, Hofstra University has the perfect outlet: a cappella groups!

A cappella music is sung without instrumental accompaniment and the pieces performed are often rearranged in creative and otherwise innovative ways. Hofstra has 5 a cappella groups on campus: The Hofbeats, Sigma’cappella, The Dutchmen, Makin’Treble and the Chai Notes.

I sat down with The Hofbeats President Mallory Marin and found out a little bit more of why she got involved in a cappella.

Amanda Palomino: How long have you been part of The Hofbeats?

Mallory Marin: I have been in the group since my first semester freshman year.

AP: What made you want to join an a cappella group?

MM: I wanted to join an a cappella group because I’ve been a singer my entire life and it seemed like an amazing experience to work with a group of singers like myself

AP: Has it benefited you as a singer?

MM: It has most definitely benefited me as a singer. By practicing with extremely talented musicians I was able to improve my sight singing and widen my range as a soprano and as an alto (I got in the group as an alto and then got moved to a soprano)

AP: What sort of events does The Hofbeats sing at and do you have a favorite event you cover?

MM: The Hofbeats sing at both on and off-campus events. We have performed at countless admitted students days and fall open houses, and have also performed at specialty concerts like Danceworks Concerts, Hofstra for a Greener Earth, SASS, Hofstra Amnesty Group, The Black Student Union Unity Showcase, and several others. For off campus events we have participated in Invitationals at St. Joseph’s college, and performed at Atria Senior Living for Mother’s day.  

Our favorite event to perform at would definitely have to be our semi-annual concerts where we sing with alumni and showcase all of our new songs for the semester. Our concert this semester is December 6th at 2pm in the Student Center Theater ! smile emoticon

AP: Why do you think a cappella brings people together and is important?

MM:  A cappella brings people together because  we have no one but each other to rely on to make the music. Because there are no other instruments except our voices, we all have to work together constantly to blend and produce a good-quality sound. Each voice in the group is possesses a unique sound and its really amazing to see all of the voices come together to make a beautiful sound; its purely teamwork at its finest

AP: What do you hope to gain from your experience in The Hofbeats? How have you grown from being in it?

MM: Being in this group was the best decision I made at Hofstra. I have grown as both a singer and a leader. Each year I have had to challenge myself musically and through interpersonal levels. It is truly amazing to be able to say that I represent such a wonderful group of people. I have made so many friendships and never felt so much like part of a team.

Check out some of The Hofbeats rehearsal videos: here and here

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.