Here’s How to Express Your Girl Power for #DayOfTheGirl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Ladies, it’s time to show off your female pride and celebrate Day of the Girl! October 11 marks the international holiday, and we’re celebrating this important day at a time when women need their voices to be heard. Here are a few ways that you can promote female empowerment today and for the rest of the year!

Donate to an organization

There are many organizations that are accepting donations to help women around the globe. Outside the United States it is still difficult, or even impossible, for women to receive an education due to financial circumstances or outdated laws. Some of the organizations that aid these women in the fight for equal opportunity include the Malala Fund, The Girl Effect, CARE, EDUgirls, and plenty more listed on this website. Another problem that is prominent in many countries are child marriages where young girls are forced into marriage before the age of 18. These girls have no choice in their future and get trapped in a cycle of abuse. A great website to donate to the cause of ending child marriages in other countries is girlsnotbrides.org. By donating to these organizations, you are aiding in the fight for equality for women that desperately need it. All women deserve the right to education and freedom – so why not help and donate as much as you can?

Engage in conversation

Try and start a conversation with peers and mentors about what needs to be changed in order for equality to be acheived. It is important to be educated on what is happening around you and know how you can provide help locally and abroad. Also, talk to the women in your life and learn the struggles that they might have been through when fighting the inequalities that they might have faced. This allows you to be more socially aware which in turn gives you more opportunity to get involved in the fight for equality. 

Create a support system of important women in your life 

Sometimes we go through struggles and often times do not have anyone to lean on. In order to prevent the feeling of isolation during these times, it’s good to have a group of women that you can depend on. These women can range from professional psychologists, family members, mentors or just your friends. This group of people will be your safety net when things get tough. Your support group can also be there to help you when you’re actively fighting for equality. No matter what, they will be there to help you along no matter what situation you are in. 

Include men into the conversation

Just because today is meant to empower women does not mean that men cannot be included in the conversation. Men can be involved as allies to the women in their lives. Sons, husbands, and fathers as well as friends can be involved in supporting these women through troubles that they may face. It is better to speak out in support rather than remain silent on the issue. Donating or volunteering to help women in this country and others is vital. 

Though this holiday only lasts for one day, keeping up with these actions is the only way to create equality all over the globe. The world does not change overnight and it will take work from everyone in order to make a change. So when this day is over, do not forget about everything that needs to be changed, but instead continue to fight for equality all over the globe. And remember to appreciate the women in your lives and keep spreading love to those around you. 

Cover photo by Jerry Kiesewetter on Unsplash

I am a Video/Television and Film major with a Journalism Minor who is passionate about animals, movies, television, music, beaches and hiking. I enjoy spending time with my friends and going on adventures whether it is hiking or just taking a road trip.