Her Story: Getting Involved at My Third and Final College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I had very low expectations coming to Hofstra. Being that this would be my third, and not necessarily last college, I wasn’t looking forward to the upcoming semester. Instead, I was preparing to be a commuter, which I had never done before, and trying to accept the fact that each day would be the exact same as the one before it. In the early days of the semester I saw no significance in joining clubs and meeting people; I felt angry at myself for closing all possibilities off. When I fell into my routine of shower, get ready, drive 45 minutes, go to class, drive home and sit in traffic, eat dinner, go to sleep, repeat… it became really mundane, really fast.

Eventually, I found myself scrolling through the long list of clubs offered at Hofstra, when I came across Her Campus. I knew about the club because my last college also had a chapter but I was too afraid to step out of my comfort zone to join there. I knew that this would be the perfect opportunity to feel like I am a part of my university.

I always wondered if introverted was the best word to describe myself, but sometimes I felt like there was more to me What I do know is I always try to avoid unfamiliar or uncomfortable situations at ALL costs. This makes it hard for those like me to get out, join a club and make friends. It’s not because I don’t want to, but because sometimes it feels like way too much stress and effort.

Hofstra gave me the ability to step out of my comfort zone. At the University of Rhode Island, I felt lost in a sea of people, just going through the motions. Whether it was me or the school, this time it was different. To everyone who is shy, introverted, socially anxious or even depressed, get out there. Join that club, whose table you’ve eye-balled every time you walk through the student center. I promise, if you just build up enough courage to walk through the door at a meeting, then you’ve done it! That was the hardest part! Life is so short, so please, from an extroverted introvert to you, please get up and go! Join that club or that team. Get involved, your bed will always be there, but you are choosing to miss out on some great opportunities.

If I stayed at my past two colleges I am not sure I would be as happy as I am now. I wouldn’t be involved in clubs or anything on campus, and for that, I thank Hofstra. I am so glad that I decided to give Hofstra a chance and I chose to make my experience at this school better than my last. I am proud to be a part of the Hofstra Pride and going forward, I can confidently say, Hofstra will be my third, and LAST college!

Taylor is a Junior at Hofstra University, majoring in Journalism and double minoring in English and Political Science. Hofstra is the third college she has attended and she plans on it being her last! She is a self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur and Netflix enthusiast. She can often be found in a mountain of pillows, sipping hot tea or obsessing over how cute her dog is. If she isn't cocooned in blankets, she is probably at the softball field or sitting on a beach somewhere. Taylor is an aspiring writer and editor, and although she isn't exactly sure where she will be after college she hopes to one day work for a magazine and publish children's books.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.