samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Campus Hofstra Reviews Zipcar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I’ve shared a Volkswagen Rabbit with my twin since the moment we both got our licenses. Moving to Long Island, I didn’t argue with her about leaving it in Maryland since I assumed I wouldn’t need a car. Hofstra’s weekend shopping shuttles, weeknight access to the “drunk bus,” and free transportation to train stations seemed to be sufficient at the time, but there are some days when I want to feel independent and in control, or really crave a study session at an authentic Starbucks by myself. For these days, there are Zipcars.

Zipcar is a company that is essentially the loophole to renting a car before you’re 25. Once you’ve registered, you can reserve a car through their app or online in half-hour increments, the gas is provided up to 180 miles, and a parking spot is reserved especially for the car you rent.

You’re given a card that allows you access into the car without a key. On the car’s windshield, there’s a spot where you hold the card until the doors magically unlock (I say magically because I’m mind blown how this works every time). The key is normally in the cup holder, but it’s supposed to stay in the car during your entire trip. Exiting and entering the car is the sole purpose of the card you’re given, and if you misplace it the app allows you entrance as well until your replacement arrives.

The first two times I made an attempt at reserving a car were nightmares; the first time I went to the Zipcar area there were literally no cars available despite the app saying otherwise. They charge your card before you leave, so naturally I was upset having to pay for a car I didn’t even have access to. I was able to call customer service directly through the app and they refunded me within a few business days, so the problem was resolved, but my plans inevitably had to be changed.

The second time I reserved a car, the same thing happened, but instead, the person who reserved it before me was late so it wasn’t entirely Zipcar’s fault. They refunded me as they had before and the problem was solved, but again I found this system to be unreliable.

I was desperate for Zipcar to follow through for my third try since I needed the car for a job interview I had at Roosevelt Field Mall. I went to the section of parking spots labeled with Zipcar decals and Praise the Lord, my car was there and I was on time to my interview (I got the job), but I also got lost coming home so I parked the car later than my reservation allowed. Yes, I was “that” person who had sabotaged someone else’s plans because of my poor direction skills.

Zipcar’s app is very keen to all your actions, so they know exactly when you leave the parking lot and with the car, where you go, how many miles you drive, and when you return. A late arrival, such as the one I mentioned, is an expensive mistake. $50, minimum, will be added on to your final receipt and there is no way to have this lowered (I’ve tried).

Hofstra’s Zipcars are located to the left of the student center (by the random bear statues) and during Welcome Week, representatives come and you have the chance to have credits added to your account. The average price for a 2-hour trip is $17, which is less expensive than a round-trip taxi, and you’re not obligated to have cash on you or make awkward small talk.

I’ve used Zipcars multiple times since my trio of unfortunate events and I haven’t had a problem since. The cars are clean and updated, you have extremely flexible options for what you want to drive and when you want to drive it, and most importantly, you have the chance to experience Hempstead and all of New York in a different atmosphere than on a crowded shuttle. This company truly cares about the students on our campus at Hofstra, and our need to be independent.

Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.