Hallmark Native Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hallmark Native Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original illustration by Kristina Stapelfeld
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Hear Us Out: Real-Life Cards are a Great Way to Stay Connected

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

In the age of a million and one ways to stay virtually connected with friends and family during the pandemic, you may be — like all of us — suffering from some serious screen-fatigue. Zoom Jackbox parties and cheers-ing your computer camera are great and all, but when the batteries die and the WiFi glitches, there is one way to keep the connection alive: greeting cards. We’re talking Hallmark, to be specific.

Greeting Cards Are Personal

E-Cards are great, and Hallmark has a large selection of those as well, but they don’t feel as ~personal~ as reading the writing on a physical piece of paper that someone took the time to handwrite especially for you. There’s a reason colleges still send handwritten notes with acceptance letters. (no? Just Hofstra? Okay, then.)

Everyone Loves Getting Stuff in the Mail

We’re not talking inbox. You know the feeling. Your birthday/a semi-major holiday is coming up, and you know you’re going to get that yearly card in the mail from great-grandpa with a check for $25, and you look forward to that. It’s the same rush you get when you open the door to an Amazon package or see your monthly Cosmo sticking out of the mailbox: something is at your house for you, and that makes you feel noticed. (The Amazon delivery guy notices me right?? RIGHT??)

Cards Make People Feel ✨Appreciated✨

Sure, your grandma or great-aunt would love nothing more than to receive a card from you in the mail. Have you ever sent one to a friend, a cousin, a coworker, just to say that you see them and appreciate them? For younger people, cards and letters add an element of surprise to their day-to-day. Think about sending your best friend a Hallmark card in the mail for her next birthday instead of that Insta-stories collage for the third year in a row. 

Next time you want to tell someone you love them, check out Hallmark Good Mail. It’s a curated collection of cards that captures your style and sounds just like you. A birthday, a holiday, a milestone, or just because, Hallmark Good Mail is there when you want it. 

Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!