HC Hofstra’s Guide to Finding the Right Mascara

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

We all have been there: walking down the makeup aisle and being confused to as which mascara to buy. There are so many types, brands, shapes and sizes – which one is the right one for you? Well, look no further as to this will be your favorite guide on finding the right mascara for your needs!

For fanning out:

We all want our eyelashes to pop and flare out. After all, is your eyelook even complete without the finishing touch of mascara? Try looking for mascara that has special effects that will help fan out your eyelashes, giving it a butterfly effect!

Photo courtesy of Afsara

To get this look here are some brands to check out:

Maybelline New York Volum’ Express The Colossal Spider Effect ($5.44)

L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara ($8.04)

Benefit Cosmetics They’re Real ($24.00)

For density:

If you want to give your eyelashes a dense look, search for mascaras that are high definition and have a cone shaped wand. They help to give depth to your eyelashes just at the right places! 

Photo courtesy of Afsara

To get this look try checking out these brands:

Maybelline Volum’ Express Pumped Up! Colossal ($4.99)

BareMinerals Flawless Definition ($19.00)

MakeUp Forever Smoky Extravagant ($24.00)

For volume:

If you enjoy layering your eyelashes with mascara for an added voluminous look, try using an “S” shaped wand or a wand with thicker bristles! These wands also help to avoid that chunky look and offer a clump free application.

Photo courtesy of Afsara

Rimmel Scandaleyes Rockin’ Curves ($5.66)

Lancome Hypnose Drama Instant Full Body ($27.50)

For curling:

If you want to give your lashes a curved look without an eyelash curler try curved wands. They help to bend your lashes for a beautiful curled look.

Photo courtesy of Afsara

Maybelline New York Lash Sensational ($6.59)

Benefit Cosmetics Roller Lash Curling and Lifting  ($24.00)

Diorshow Iconic Overcurl  ($29.50)

For length:

Who doesn’t want longer eyelashes? Get the look of false eyelashes with a thinner wand that has bristles that are more spaced out. They help to reach and lengthen each eyelash. Some mascaras even help to grow your eyelashes as well. 

Photo taken by author

To get this look check out these brands:

Almay One Coat Get Up and Grow ($7.32)

Soap and Glory Thick and Fast Extensions Effect ($14.00)

Too Faced Better Than Sex ($23.00)

There are hundreds of mascaras out there, and it can be a bit overwhelming. However, makeup is supposed to be fun and so is choosing your products! Keep these tips in mind and you will find the right mascara!

New Yorker and a passion for tech and fashion.