Halloween Dorm Room Decorations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Just because you live in a dorm room doesn’t mean you can’t go all out with decorating, especially for holidays! Decorating for the holidays makes your dorm feel even more like home. Halloween can be both fun and scary, bringing the little kid out of all of us! Here are some fun and affordable, Halloween decoration ideas for your room!

Hang Colored Lights

Hanging twinkling lights is very popular among dorm rooms all over the world. Switch out those white lights for Halloween colors! These strings of lights are super cheap and easy to find. You can easily hang them up with Command hooks. Adding Halloween colors adds a pretty and creepy feel to the room!

Paint and Personalize Pumpkins

Pumpkins are on sale all over the place during this time of year. You can buy either real or plastic pumkins, grab some acrylic paint and paint whatever you want on it! You and your roommate can write your names or paint a jack-o-lantern face on it. It’s a cute fall decoration and also a really nice bonding activity for you and your friends.

Welcome (or warning) Signs on your Door

Why keep all of the decorations inside your dorm?! Put a “Happy Halloween” sign on the outside of your dorm door so you can share the Halloween spirit with everyone on your floor! Or you can have some more fun and put caution tape across your door to add to the scariness of Halloween.

Fun Halloween Decals

At any store, including the dollar store, they have cheap Halloween decals or decorations that you can stick anywhere. If you find paper cutouts, you can use Command strips to stick them all over your wall, even in the bathroom of a suite, to make it feel like Halloween everywhere in your room.

Window Stickers

Adding little Halloween stickers to your window is so cute! Many places sell little gel stickers or window stickers for every holiday. Buying a pack is not too expensive and it allows you to decorate a part of your room that normally doesn’t have any decorations. They also look so pretty when light shines through the window!

Door Poster

I always think these door posters are so cool. They sell door posters with tons of different pictures and scenes on them. You can hang this on the inside of your door or, if you live in a suite, on the outside of one of your extra doors. It can add a creepy or fun element to the room and its nice and big to look at.

Amanda is a student at Hofstra University studying public relations with minors in design and radio/tv/film. She loves to dance, paint, and experiment with vegetarian cooking. Amanda loves being involved in her sorority, Alpha Theta Beta, as well as being a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters on campus. Additionally, she loves animals, environmental advocacy, communications, and event planning. (Please note that Her Campus nationals removed photos from articles that existed before 2019 and therefore my original photos are not included for those articles)
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.