This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Like many things this past year, the 2020 Grammy Awards looked a little different than usual. Consisting of performances for empty audiences and a casual awards ceremony on a rooftop, it was not quite the event most people are used to. However, none of the nominees failed to deliver in their wardrobes or performances. 

Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

The ceremony kicked off with Harry Styles and his incredible performance of “Watermelon Sugar” (yes ma’am) – the song he ended up taking home the award for Best Pop Solo Performance. Also in the pop genre, Dua Lipa won the award for Best Pop Album with “Future Nostalgia.” Now, this win was a bit controversial, as she was up against Harry’s “Fine Line,” Justin Beiber’s “Changes,” Lady Gaga’s “Chromatica” and Taylor Swift’s “Folklore.” Obviously, musical taste is personal, but it could be said that a few of those artists were snubbed in this category (*ahem* Taylor).

Taylor Swift wearing floral dress at 2021 Grammy Awards Red Carpet
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

However, Taylor Swift got her due with “Folklore” winning Album Of The Year. She also gave an amazing performance, per usual, transforming the stage into a forest with, yes, a treehouse. Song Of The Year went to “I Can’t Breathe” by H.E.R.; a touching tribute to the adversity people of color have faced that’s led to the voice and advocation they have claimed this past year.

This was a monumental year for communities of artists that are normally underrepresented at the Grammy Awards, with people of color and women finally seeing more representation than in past years. The most notable examples of this were the all-women nominees for Best Country Album, as well as the queen herself, Beyonce. She broke the record for the artist with the most Grammys at 28 awards, and her daughter followed in her footsteps after winning an award as well.

Beyonce at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Cliff Lipson / CBS

Megan Thee Stallion also dominated the stage on Sunday night, winning Best Rap Performance with “Savage,” and giving a show-stopping performance with Nikki Minaj. She took home the award for Best New Artist as well – another tough lineup. She was up against contenders like Doja Cat, Noah Cyrus and Phoebe Bridgers (who could have my soul if she wanted it.)

To wrap up the night, Billie Eilish took home Record Of The Year for the second time with “Everything I Wanted.” A little surprised? She was too, saying that Megan Thee Stallion deserved the award more than her. Nevertheless, she won, and I don’t think very many people have a problem with that. 

billie eilish at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

Although different this year, the Grammy Awards COVID-19 edition consisted of amazing performances by all the talented artists who were able to find a way to create outstanding music amid a global pandemic. For that, they all deserve an award.

* A complete list of all the winners and nominees can be found here.

Hello! I'm a Sophomore at Hofstra University, double majoring in Journalism and Dance. I love coffee and peanut butter with a passion. I have lots of opinions and love writing about pretty much anything, so I hope you enjoy what I've got to say!