This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Live from the Rainbow Room at NBC New York and the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, this was an award show night we won’t forget. There were tears, zoom malfunctions, fashion statements, and a never before seen new audience. 

Felicity Warner / HCM

During the pandemic, we owe a never ending round of applause to the front line workers. Hostesses Tina Fey and Amy Poehler had a room full of EMTs and first responders to share this special night with them in both locations. While some of the moments were clearly pre-recorded like the nine minute monologue introduction; the night went as smoothly as one could hope.

Amazon Prime took home their first globe after celebrating Sasha Baron Cohen being named the Best Actor in the film “Borat Subsequent Movie Film.” It was shocking that this hilariously comedic man won over Lin Manuel Miranda and “Hamilton” the beloved musical.

Photo by Christian Wiediger from Unsplash

Sadly, and excitingly, a star glimmered in Chadwick Boseman’s widows eyes as she celebrated her late husband’s first golden globe. Her sobs and words were touching and Bowman is an actor in all of our hearts who will not be forgotten. This award was presented in the category for best actor in a motion picture and drama “Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.” It was an emotional award to accept to say the least.

Daniel Kalyuua had some much expected zoom malfunctions. He almost missed his chance to speak, and out of pure luck the internet and audio came through in the end. Kalyuua won an award for the movie “Judas and the Black Messiah” as the best supporting actor. 

Zoom meeting with coffee
Photo by Chris Montgomery from Unsplash
Best of all, in the real time heat of the Prince and Princess of Sussex leaving the English Royal Family, “The Crown” won Best TV Series. Check out what Prince Harry said to James Corden about his thoughts on this TV show.  Furthermore, Catherine O’Hara took home a much deserved award for Best Actress in A TV Show musical or comedy. We sure do love Schitts creek and those many iconic phrases “I would be pleased to RSVP as… pending.” 

Poster of Schitt's Creek
CBC Television

Let’s just say she accepted the RSVP and her globe with pure pride and dignity!

Best of all, the fashion statements were unique to say the least.  We saw: 

• Jason Sudeikis in a tie dye hoodie

• Jodie Foster in prada pajamas 

• Regina King a decedent Loui Vuitton Silver and Black Dress

The winners from all categories are were presented by CNET and can be found here. 

What did you think of the star studded night? It was a special one we all will not forget. Granted COVID-19 may have altered this award show, but given the circumstances it was a solid production. Until 2022, here is to another year of TV shows and movies that will for sure fill our lives with joy.

Max Coven

Hofstra '23

Max is a senior journalism major looking to break into entertainment news. He loves to discuss trending TikTok dances, social media changes, and award show season. It has always been his dream to report on live tv.