This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Since 2011, an organization called Global Citizen has been advocating for the equality of human rights. They are combating anything that could stand in the way of everyone receiving the rights and respect that they deserve. This organization aims to inform caring and engaged citizens on the specific issue of extreme poverty, but their mission includes solving any problem that is presented under impoverished conditions. They enable “Global Citizens” to learn about extreme poverty all around the world, to take action that can help fix this issue, and to earn rewards for the action that is taken. By becoming a Global Citizen, which is as easy as downloading the app, members are exposed to stories of extreme poverty and what is being, or not being, done to combat it. They use social media platforms such as Instagram and Twitter to get the word out.

Last year, I found my best friend at Hofstra. She is my roommate as well as a Global Citizen, and this year she convinced me to get involved. My experience with the organization of the past couple of months has been incredible. I have learned so much about issues all over the world that don’t even make the news sometimes. I have tweeted about these issues, spamming my followers with at least 5 tweets a day about things that I have taken particular interest in. I have signed petitions, and I have even sent emails to people who have the ability to make change and have yet to do so. All of these things that I have done have earned me points that, when added, enter me in raffles to win tickets to concerts for all different kinds of artists and to the Global Citizen Festival that is taking place next weekend.

On Sunday, September 29, the Global Citizen Festival is taking place on the Great Lawn of Central Park, New York. Every year this festival brings together musical artists and leaders from around the world to plan to an end to extreme global poverty. This year it is hosted by Deborra-Lee Furness and her husband Hugh Jackman, and the musical guests include Janet Jackson, The Weeknd, Shawn Mendes, Cardi B, Janelle Monáe, and special guest John Legend. The doors open at 2:00 pm for all Global Citizens who have earned the required amount of points and won 2 free tickets in one of three raffles conducted. It looks to me that it’s going to be an exciting event, where members of Global Citizen can work to make the world a better place and listen to some great performances at the same time.

Here is the link to their website if you would like to know more: https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/

Photo Credit: Global Citizen Instagram page

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.