Friday Foodie: S’MAC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Restaurant: S’MAC – Sarita’s Macaroni & Cheese

Cuisine: All carbs, all the time.

Great for: A casual lunch, and when you decide to say, “What diet?”

Location: S’MAC has 3 locations. This article is about the location at Murray Hill: 157 E. 33rd St. between Lexington and 3rd Avenue

Phone #: (212) 683-3900

Price Range: It depends on what size you order: most kinds of mac n’ cheese range from about $5 for the smallest portion to $19 for a large portion that can be shared among more than one person. (Fun fact: they also offer a “Partay!” size for catering at $47, aka enough mac n’ cheese to feed the entire country of Switzerland.)

S’MAC offers mac n’ cheese like you’ve never had it before: Napoletana (with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil), Alpine (gruyere and slab bacon), Parisienne (roasted figs, brie, mushrooms and rosemary), and of course, the classic All-American. You can order small portions just to taste, a medium portion for a full meal, and they even offer a sampler of 8 different kinds of mac n’ cheese in one dish. You can create your own original recipe as well, choosing from a list of many different cheeses and toppings.

I’ve tried the Mediterranean, with goat cheese, kalamata olives, spinach, and garlic, and the Cajun, with andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, and Cajun seasoning. Two completely different tastes, but both delicious—the Cajun was, of course, slightly spicy, but if I can eat it, you know it’s not too extreme.  When you order any kind, they’ll ask if you want your mac n’ cheese topped with breadcrumbs: say yes.

Follow my column every other Friday for great places to eat in the NYC/Long Island area!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!