A Foodie’s 5 Fave Local Restaurants to Support Near Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Checking out new restaurants and eating good food with people I love is one of my favorite things to do. The way I can do this has obviously changed due to the pandemic, but luckily take out is still a great option. It’s an easy way to support local restaurants without putting yourself and others at risk. I was familiar with some of these restaurants prior to the pandemic, but some of them I found fairly recently, and I am so glad I did! All of these restaurants are available on delivery platforms like DoorDash and Uber Eats, however it is important to note that it’s always better to order directly from the restaurant because these apps often do more harm than good to local businesses. 

Thanaree Thai Kitchen (Bellmore)

It took me three years at Hofstra to find my favorite Thai restaurant. In high school, my friend’s parents owned a Thai restaurant and it was one of my favorite places to go with my family. I was eager to find somewhere in New York that matched the quality of my beloved hometown spot. Last semester, I stumbled upon Thanaree and am so happy I did. Their prices are great and the food is delicious. I am a simple woman and tend to go for their pad thai (which is $10), and it usually lasts me at least two meals. If you love Thai food or are looking to try it out, Thanaree is a great place to visit!

My Three Sons Bagel Cafe (Garden City)

I have become a total bagel snob over the last eight months. I’m from California and when I first got to New York, I didn’t fully get the NY bagel hype. Now, I understand and I am ashamed to say I ever dismissed the beauty that is a New York bagel. To me, My Three Sons in Garden City is the best bagel around. You can’t beat the price of their breakfast sandwiches (~$4 for one, less than $10 for two) and the quality is excellent. Few things bring me more joy than a bacon egg and (pepper jack) cheese on a sesame bagel with salt, pepper and hot sauce. 

El Mofongo (Hempstead)

I learned about this amazing Dominican restaurant from my boyfriend. I haven’t had a chance to go here since the pandemic started, but I am well overdue for a visit. The owners are so friendly and really add to the experience. The first time I went, I was offered samples of different meats and even an orange cake that had just been made. They have a great variety of meats, sides (don’t skip the maduros, aka fried sweet plantains) and cakes. 

Anzai (East Meadow)

This is another spot I found recently. Located on Front Street in East Meadow, Anzai serves various Asian cuisines, including a really great sushi menu. If sushi isn’t your thing, they also have solid ramen, udon and fried rice. They have reasonable prices and really great quality food, definitely worth a visit! 

Mei Ho Kitchen (Uniondale)

If you’re a fan of Chinese food, Mei Ho is a great spot where you can get a lot of food for cheap! Their menu is huge, so there will be no issue finding something that will fill you up. Menu highlights include the fried chicken wings with garlic sauce, vegetable lo mein, crab rangoons (because who doesn’t like those) and sesame chicken. This easy, tasty spot is a great addition to your take-out rotation.

Local businesses have had a hard time during the pandemic, and it’s better to support local when you can instead of going to chain restaurants. Hopefully, you’ll find yourself ordering from one of these restaurants soon and enjoy them as much as I do!

Person Eating Clubhouse Sandwich
Stokpic/Pexels

Micaela is a senior journalism major with a minor in civic engagement. She's known for her love of coffee and being funny online.