Food for Thought, Snacks You Should Eat During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Finals week is approaching and it’s time to start studying. Like most students, I am terrible when it comes to preparing for finals week and I end up eating extremely unhealthy due to time constraints. But eating healthy is extremely important when preparing for big events; especially finals. If you eat the correct food that powers your mind, then finals this year will be a breeze. Here are just a few snacks that will help you power through finals week!

Photo by Cecilia Par

Berries

Berries are extremely healthy for you, and they are really tasty too.  Not to mention how easy they are.  There’s no work involved for you, just grab them out of the fridge and snack away while you cram for the final you should’ve started studying for days earlier. Blueberries are especially good for finals week! Blueberries are rich in vitamin K, vitamin C, and fiber. But they are especially good for finals week because they are high in gallic acid which is good for protecting our brains from degeneration and stress. So stock up blueberries while you’re preparing for finals!

Photo by Juan José Valencia Antía

Nuts

Nuts are another go-to snack during the dog days of finals.  Like berries, they’re very easy to eat and take little to no time out of your studying for preparation. Walnuts are especially good for finals season as they can improve your mental health. Due to their high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals they also build mental alertness, which is especially important when you’re staring at textbooks for hours. Walnuts also contain Vitamin E which helps battle Alzheimer’s disease. But it doesn’t matter if you like peanuts, walnuts, or pecans, just grab your nut of choice or a nice assortment and you’ll be good to go for that all-nighter.

Photo by Matt Hoffman

Coffee

Speaking of being good to go for an all-nighter, coffee would be a great start.  The caffeine will help wake you up for those long study sessions and keep you focused on the task at hand. You could sprinkle a little peppermint in the coffee for some holiday spirit, but we’re all about being healthy! Stay away from sugar and heavy creamer with your finals coffee, because that stuff isn’t making it any healthier either. Just remember: too much coffee can turn into a bad thing! Be careful when drinking coffee because if you drink too much than your focused energy can turned into an hyperactive mess. Stick to one or two cups of coffee during finals and that will get you through the day. 

Photo by Caroline Attwood 

Salmon

If you like seafood then you’re going to love this next edition to our list. Salmon is definitely a must for finals week due to it being packed with omega-3 fatty acids. Why is this so important? Omega-3 fatty acids are great for studying because they keep your brain running smoothly and improve memory. Also, studies have shown that if you eat salmon then it can improve your ADHD. I suggest you hit up your local grocery store and pick up as much salmon as you can. Be careful though because salmon is heavy in mercury and toxins!  

Photo by Krista McPhee 

Dark Chocolate

Now this next edition of our list is a great break from all of those healthy snacks. Dark chocolate is a great study partner for you to have this upcoming finals week.  While being absolutely delicious and a great cheat day snack, dark chocolate has some great health benefits. Dark chocolate is full of flavonols, which are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. Also, dark chocolate helps lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to both the brain and heart. Keep in mind, the darker the chocolate the more health benefits you will receive. 

I hope this lists helps you prepare for your upcoming finals. Be sure to stay healthy during this week and not to go out of control with junk food. The healthier the food = the best brain boosters. Now go out there and study hard! 

Cover Photo by Element5 Digital on Unsplash

I am a Video/Television and Film major with a Journalism Minor who is passionate about animals, movies, television, music, beaches and hiking. I enjoy spending time with my friends and going on adventures whether it is hiking or just taking a road trip.