Five Ways to Promote Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The most important thing you can do in your life is to love yourself, but sometimes that seems like it is the hardest thing to do. Self-love is very important and one of the easiest ways to make sure you are happy. Loving yourself is great because it does not require you to depend on another person, it comes from within. If you are ever feeling like you need a little pick-me-up, check out these five ways to help you love yourself.

1. Compliment yourself when you wake up.

There is no better way to promote self-love than by starting your day off with some self-affirmations every morning. A positive morning makes for a positive day. Start it out right by reminding yourself you are an amazing, important woman who is set up to succeed.

2. Know yourself.

In order to love yourself, you need to know yourself. First, you have to learn what makes you happy, and then loving yourself will come after. Naturally happy people are going to be inclined to love themselves. Happy people see the good in not only life but themselves as well.

3. Learn to accept a compliment.

So many people do not know how to accept a compliment when it is given to them. Learning to thank a person when they say something nice about you is a great way to promote self-love. In accepting their compliment, you are acknowledging that you yourself are worthy of praise. You also are accepting that the compliment someone gives you is true. For instance, if someone compliments your art skills or musical talents and you decide to you thank them and positively accept their compliment, you are loving yourself.

4. Surround yourself with people who make you see the good in you.

Just like with any task in life, you need to surround yourself with a group of good people who will help you to succeed. This is no different when you are learning to love yourself. Having negative people in your life will only lead to negative thoughts about yourself and everyone that surrounds you. Surrounding yourself with people that improve your self-worth is an important way to promote self-love.

5. Be the light

The most important way to love you is to promote self-love towards others and to be the light. Not everyone is going to be in the same place as you in many aspects of life. Sometimes it is up to you to help your friends start loving themselves. Encouraging others is an important part of friendship and the best way to learn to love yourself and others for who they truly are.

Header photo courtesy of Pexels

Danielle Zulkosky is currently a Junior in the Honors College at Hofstra University where she is double majoring in Journalism and Political Science. She is currently the Program Director of Talk at 88.7 FM WRHU, the Vice President of the Hofstra University Chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. In the Fall of 2017, she interned with the MSNBC Booking Department. When she's not busy with her many other clubs she's in you can find her writing for Her Campus or hanging out with her sisters in Alpha Epsilon Phi! After college, she hopes to get any journalism job offered to her. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @DZulkosky