Five Steps to Stay Stress Free During the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Happy December everyone! The holidays are, for me at least, the best time of the year. Snow is falling, school is ending, gifts are being given and received, and there is just an overall happy feeling in the air. This time of year, however, can also be the most stressful for many people. Here are five ways that you can stay stress free during the holiday season. 

Buy Gifts Early

Buying presents for all of my friends and family is by far my favorite thing to do during the holidays. However, this can become stressful for three main reasons. The first reason could be you have no idea what to get anyone on your gift giving list. This is a common problem for many including myself, however I pride myself on giving the perfect gifts to the ones on my list. In order to get these perfect presents I study my friends, making note of what they like and what they want. If it is not that easy, Pinterest is my best friend. There are so many ideas on that website that if you search anything an idea is surely to pop up. Also, browsing social media, especially of the person you want to get gifts for is helpful. For my secret santa this year, she posted on Twitter that she wanted a warmie so I got one for her. She was so excited that I knew she wanted one, and all I had to do was to stalk her on Twitter a little bit! The next two reasons tie together, buying gifts on time and having enough money for them. There is one day of the year that can solve this problem in a heartbeat, Black Friday! Every year since I started buying gifts myself, I buy every single one on Black Friday. There are always amazing deals that ensure I do not break the bank, and it is usually a month before Christmas ensuring that all my gifts come in time!

Dealing with Family

A big part of the holiday season is spending time with family. Now, I got lucky. The family I spend my holidays with I absolutely adore, but for many, the thought of seeing those cousins and aunts that only come around this time of year can be nerve wracking. The endless questions about your life and boyfriends and the remarks that just make you go “Who would ever even think of saying that out loud?” can be a lot, but stay strong! You only have to spend a few hours with these people, and remember, the only thing that matters is what you think of yourself and if you are happy with the life that you are living.

Getting Through Finals Season

Happy finals season! The end of the semester can really put a damper on the holiday spirit, but for these four years of your life, at least, this is now a huge part of this time. I am only a freshman, so I am smack in the middle of my first finals week right now and I can already see how stressful of a time this is for everyone. The best piece of advice that I can give is to not procrastinate on studying and remember, as important as grades are, a letter is only a letter and it does not define how smart you are and it will not prevent you from reaching your goal. So, have a cup of tea and put on some soothing christmas music; finals will be over before you know it!

Handling Overeating

The weather outside is so dark and cold, so why would anyone want to go out and make home cooked healthy meals when Taco Bell now delivers! Also, those Christmas cookies that are literally everywhere, how can one resist? Food, for me, is a huge stressor around the holidays. I struggle with overeating every single month of the year, but around the holidays, with all the family outings and excess food everywhere, it becomes hard to watch your weight. The only simple answer I have to help with this issue is self control; know your limits when it comes to eating. Now, I am not saying there is anything wrong with putting on a little extra to keep you warm through the winter months, but I know for me, at least, that this can be hard, and remember a few pounds will not hurt anyone. The most important thing is that you love yourself.

Staying Calm Through Travelling

Travelling, whether it’s a quick car ride across Long Island or into the city; a plane ride across the country or to see relatives travelling, it can be a hassle around the holiday season. I don’t have much experience with this because I only live 30 minutes away from my college and all my family lives very close to me. But I see the role that travelling takes on my friends and other members of my family that travel far to see their loved ones. From what they tell, there are two main things to focus on while travelling around this time of year. First, being early is your best friend! Whether it’s to the airport or getting a headstart on a long commute, it is better to allow for mishaps to happen. Second, be patient! Everyone is going through this chaos together so just remain calm.

The holidays can be the best and the worst time of the year because yes, Christmas and every other holiday is amazing, but life becomes stressful. Just hang on though, were almost through to the other side, and try to enjoy the holiday drinks and sweets while you are coasting on through!Photo courtasy of  Sarah Pflug

https://burst.shopify.com/photos/happy-holidays-on-woodgrain?q=happy+holidays

Arianna is a part of the class of 2023 at Hofstra University. She is a biology major with a concentration in ecology and evolutionary biology. She can be found at any moment in her dorm room talking with her mystery snails, and no that is not a joke. She is probably eating ice cream and waffles with them too.