Five Devastatingly Good Books You Should Read

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Many genres of books can tug at the heartstrings, but there are a certain few books that do it better than most. After getting attached to the main characters, their friendships, and their worlds, the hardships and tragedies that they encounter become just that more difficult when reading about them. Although humans want to achieve happiness, sometimes people crave to hear heartfelt sad stories. Here are five you might wanna pick up if you want to indulge in that feeling. 

IF he had been with me by laura nowlin

This story follows the main character Autumn, throughout her childhood and her high school years. It has a focus on her friendship with her next-door neighbor, Finny, and how she is pining for him while also enduring hardships that involve mental health, and parental struggles. This book has multiple fans due to the main character’s journey that is being documented, but also because of how relatable many of her feelings are. Her biggest adversity is not that likes a boy that is unreciprocated, but she also goes through many of the struggles that teenage girls go through when attending high school. Not only does this book have a shocking ending, but there is also a recently released sequel that goes through the perspective of Finny and his high school years experience. The ending of the first novel is devastating and caused many people to post about how much the ending made them cry. This book is recommended for people who want an easy-to-read tearjerker.

The song of achilles by madeline Miller

This book by Madeline Miller follows the story of Achilles throughout the Trojan War, but is told by Patroclus. Patroclus is Achilles’ best friend and companion throughout the trials and tribulations both of them face. The book holds tradition to much of Greek mythology, which is why many people are drawn to it in the first place. Although this story is classified as a tragedy, many people love it for the romance and friendship involved. Achilles faces many difficult situations, both in the name of battle and not. The ending of this book is already predicted, especially for those who are familiar with Greek tragedies, but the new tone of the characters brings them into a new light.

28 summers by elin hildeRbrand

If you are looking for an amazing book to read at the beach, look no further. Elin Hilderbrand is known for her writing style, and more specifically her books that are based in Nantucket. That book is focused on Mallory Blessing, a woman who lives on Nantucket Island and happens to be sick and dying, and begins with a prologue of her telling her 19-year-old son, Link, to call a man named Jake McCloud (who is the husband of the US presidential candidate). As this story evolves, the audience learns that it takes place over 28 summers during Labor Day Weekend. Mallory and Jake both meetup this one weekend every single year to be with each other, which does not stop no matter the circumstance. This novel provides many real and raw feelings.

Where the crawdads sing by Delia owens

One of the most popular books focuses on a woman named Kya Clark and all of the hardships she endured throughout her entire life. One of the main themes of this novel is perseverance, and having the ability to get through trauma, to create a better life for yourself. Kya proves this because she was abandoned by her toxic and abusive father. Kya goes through so much throughout this novel, but the premise of this book is focused on how she gets accused of murdering a man she was in love with. Kya works throughout the entire novel to escape preconceived notions of what the townspeople think of her because she is known for being “the marsh girl.” She got this name because she lived by the marshes, forced into isolation because of the bullying she went through. This novel, which recently turned into a movie, was a tearjerker that additionally promoted the idea that stereotypes are wrong. 

A woman is no man by etaf rum

Focusing on the issue of abuse of Palestinian women in three generations, A Woman is no Man covers the stories of Isra, Deya, and Fareeda. Isra is a young Palestinian woman who was married off to a man named Adam which led to them moving to New York. When the story begins, it focuses on how Isra is a young woman with excitement for the future and hopefulness for her new life in America. Soon after she gets married she gives birth to a daughter named Deya. The points of view continue throughout the book and eventually lead to her daughter having to go through some of the hardships that she went through herself. Throughout this story, there are mentions of both physical abuse and mental abuse, as well as women blaming themselves for it. This book combats the issue of domestic violence and how it can affect different generations, as well as people who view it as not an urgent issue. 

If you ever decide you want to read a book that is not necessarily guaranteed a happy ending, be sure to pick up one of these. These books all have guaranteed sad moments, but the overall message proves to overpower those feelings. 

Joanna Dugroo

Hofstra '26

Joanna is a sophomore music business student studying at Hofstra University on Long Island. She has a passion for pop culture, music, reading, and theatre!