alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Feeling Lucky? Here Are Five Ideas to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

St. Patrick’s Day is a holiday celebrating the patron saint of Ireland. Every year on the 17th of March people from all over are wearing green and feeling lucky. Whether you are Irish or not, here are five simple ways to get in the St. Patty’s Day spirit.

1. Attend a Parade

A lot of major cities in the U.S. have St. Patrick’s Day parades that are always fun to attend. Since our spring break starts this holiday weekend, you can find a parade near your hometown or just take a train ride to New York City. The NYC St. Patrick’s Parade takes place every year in the heart of the city, and it is sure to be a shamrockin’ time.

Photo by Dom J on pexels.com

2. Eat and Drink like the Irish

The Irish are notoriously known for their drinking and their beer, but for all of us under 21, there are still treats to enjoy throughout the day. With the commercialization of the holiday, we have received Lucky Charms cereal and McDonald’s delicious Shamrock Shakes. These may not be authentic Irish dishes, but if you don’t know your Irish delicacies they are the next best thing.

Photo by photopin.com

3. Learn to Irish Dance

Every talent show that I have ever been to had a least one Irish dancer, and rightfully so because it does not look like an easy thing to do. Nevertheless, if you’re feeling adventurous, or just lucky this March 17th, look up some videos on the Internet or take some pointers from an Irish-dancing friend on how to gracefully hop around as you listen to Galway Girl by Ed Sheeran.

Photo by photopin.com

4. Find your Own Taste of Ireland

No matter where you go, you are bound to find evidence of Irish heritage. In New York City alone there are plenty of Irish pubs that you can go to and spend the day surrounded by the lucky. There are other cities around the U.S. that have a wide range of Irish descendants where you could probably find connections to the green country across the ocean. If you’re really feeling spontaneous this spring break, book a trip to Ireland and learn what St. Patrick’s Day is all about.

Photo by jeshoots on pexels.com

5. Wear Green

If nothing else, go green! If you’re not Irish or have never really made a point of celebrating the holiday before, the least you can do is find something in you closet to show some support. Wear anything green that you own, no matter how ridiculous you look. It’s a small gesture, but who knows, maybe the color will change your luck for the better.

Photo by photopin.com

Whether you’re celebrating your Irish roots or you are celebrating the roots of others, there is always something fun for you to do this March 17th. Anyone can be Irish on St. Patrick’s Day, just remember to have fun and eat/drink responsibly.

Cover Photo by Pixabay on pexels.com

I am currently a Journalism Major at Hofstra University with a minor in Creative Writing. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, and my dream is to work for a fashion magazine in New York City (basically I want a life like "The Devil Wears Prada"). My interests include fashion, binge watching movies illegally on the internet, and working out every other week or so.