The Fashion Hits and Misses of the Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

What comes to mind when we think of the Grammy Awards? Seeing our favorite artists be recognized for a successful year in music, of course, but we’d have to be crazy not to peep at the red carpet.

No celebrity wants to be outshined, and they certainly did not disappoint in the glitz department this year, with daring looks that ranged from glamorous to downright kooky. Glitter and sequins have been the operative word in 2011 fashion, and it looks like this sartorial choice is here to stay for 2012. The ever-talented Adele stunned in a black Armani gown that showed off her voluptuous figure and must have been her good-luck charm through a momentous performance and a handful of awards.

Another star who opted for sparkle was Carrie Underwood, whose Gomez- Garcia gown revealed a classic, feminine silhouette but betrayed a beautifully cut design in the back. Katy Perry’s newfound love for hair dye shocks us again, this time with neon blue.  Katy wore a body-hugging Elie Saab gown, a light blue number that matched her hair but not necessarily for the better.

Taylor Swift also went the sparkle route with an intricate gilded Zuhair Murad gown; despite the daring design of the back, however, the dress aged the young songstress and seemed too fussy for the Grammy’s. Kelly Osbourne, though irrelevant in the music world at this point, showed her love for classic glamour with her glittery Tony Ward one-shouldered dress. Flattering cut, flattering color, but the white-pink hair color Kelly’s been trying to rock seems dissonant and certainly not age-appropriate.

Kelly Rowland stunned in an Alberta Ferreti gown that kept the sequins to the bodice only, in an intricate design that showed off the singer’s flawless beauty. Rihanna stunned in a curve-hugging, deep v-neck Armani gown that she claims to have collaborated on; this is the best she’s ever looked on the red carpet. With natural curls and a lighter hue that flatters her skin tone after one too many dips in KoolAid, Rihanna looked fresh and sexy.

And now for the wild cards, and the most expected fashion risk-takers: Lady Gaga, Nicki Minaj, Jessie J, and Fergie. Lady Gaga remained in the same outfit the entire night, a move that may seem surprising given her track record, but she certainly brought the crazy. Faithful to the brand, Gaga wore a Versace black corseted gown, with a face net mask to match a shiny cane for an accessory.

Nicki Minaj will not be ignored, however; she took cues from Lady Gaga’s religiously-controversial choices and brought a Pope-lookalike as her date for the red carpet. The visual of such a coupling almost detracted from her costume, a Red Riding Hood dress with an intricate sequined design on the front of the skirt. Jessie J, the Brit singer with an eye for the kitsch, wore a hit-or-miss look: a silver paneled curve-hugging dress by Julien MacDonald. It is not certain whether she looked to The Wizard of Oz’s very own Tin Man for inspiration, or the metallic trend a la 2011 runways.

And speaking of trends, last but not least, Fergie also took a risk on the runway with a tangerine lace number by Jean Paul Gaultier. His designs are not for the weak of heart, and Fergie certainly wasn’t going for “demure” by deliberately exposing her black “unmentionables.” Sure, she’s consistent with the trendiest color of 2012, but her ensemble straddles the line between daring and desperate.

Now, may we all learn from this: glitter is “in,” exposed underwear is, and always should be, “out.”

Photo Sources:
http://redcfa.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Adele-A…

http://www.temptalia.com/images/spring2012/grammys_rihanna002.jpg

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2012/02/nick-minaj-grammy…

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!