Fashion Challenge: Menswear

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Anything you can do I can do better. This is a great motto to have when dressing in menswear inspired fashion. There is something very empowering about pulling off a great menswear outfit. From adding something as simple as a bowtie, to a full blown power suit, menswear inspired fashion is a fall trend that everyone should partake in.

A basic piece of menswear is a blazer or fitted jacket. When created for women the tailoring of these items creates a strong and bold silhouette. Blazers are an essential for every girls closet. When paired with jeans they have a great day to day use. Simply throw one over your favorite graphic tee, roll up the sleeves and head off to class. Blazers are also ideal for job interviews and internships as they can have a wonderful professional look to them when paired with slacks and skirts. Add a simple strand of pearls or antique brooch to pump up your femininity.

Menswear inspired shoes are a welcomed changed to your typical stiletto or ballet flats. When going for a traditional menswear look flats would be your typical choice. Oxfords and loafers have been making quite a strong comeback recently. These versatile shoes can be dressed up or down for any occasion. If you’re stuck on heels there are many varieties that come with pumps and wedges for a feminine twist. 

Just a few little touches can add a bit of androgyny to your outfit. Menswear accessories transfer over to women with ease. While suspenders may remind some of Steve Urkel, they can make a bold statement to an otherwise simple ensemble. 

Next time (no pun intended) you reach for your sparkly, bedazzled watch try a large faced stainless-steel kind instead. Adding a surrounding layer of bracelets can give you your much needed sparkle. There’s no need to go out and spend and extravagant amount of money on these watches either. There inexpensive options available at stores like: Target, H&M and Urban Outfitters.

Baseball caps aren’t exactly the epitome of high fashion but there is one type of hat I wouldn’t mind borrowing from the guys: fedoras. With a variety of bands and fabrics, there is an assortment of different looks you can create with these hats. By pulling your hair in a low loose bun or messy braid, and adding a fedora, you can quickly add a bit of style to your typical day to day look.

Of course menswear was intended for our male counterparts, but who’s to say that we can’t pull it off, maybe even better? Adding a few personal touches to your menswear-inspired outfit can go a long way. Go raid your Boyfriend/Brother/Dad’s closet and see what you can come up with.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!