Fashion Challenge: Channeling Snow White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When I was younger, I dressed up as Snow White for Halloween and told everyone my brother was one of my dwarves. I even took my first steps at Disney’s Polynesian resort in Florida. Clearly, I had a slight obsession with Disney movies. Who didn’t dream of being Cinderella when they grew up? And I know I am not the only one who envied Belle and her enchanted talking wardrobe. I could easily go into detail about each individual princess and how their personality and storyline attributed to their style, but for today I’ll start with the first princess Disney introduced us to, Snow White.

When we first meet Snow White, she is dressed in rags cleaning up the castle with the company of her animal friends. Being the fairest one of all she doesn’t need any fancy clothes to enhance her beauty. The prince is drawn to Snow White when he hears her singing and is enchanted based on her sweet and demure personality alone. Snow White’s rags look is easy to replicate for a casual on the go outfit. A classic peter pan collared blouse and flowy skirt would be an ideal outfit to go to class or an internship in. While you may not want to wear the clogs she has on, a pair of ballet flats should do the trick in tying your outfit together. Trying staying in neutrals and earth tone based colors to reflect the simplicity of this look.

Although in the first scene she is seen in mainly neutrals, Snow White isn’t afraid to mix a few bold colors together. The dress she wears the majority of the movie combines vibrant shades of red, yellow and blue. Accompanied by capped sleeves, a long maxi dress, and an awesome cape she is ready to take on any adventure that comes her way. My favorite part of Snow White’s outfit is her iconic red bow. The red dramatically contrasts her striking black hair. You simply can’t go wrong with a bow. Try mixing a few different colors you wouldn’t usually put together.  Be bold. If you’re trying a more modern take on her outfit swap her skirt for a pair of colored skinny jeans.

With skin as white as snow, Snow White is a great representation of how being pale can really be beautiful. If you’re like me and have the same skin tone as Casper, Snow White is your role model. Her pale skin is accented with lips red as the rose and matching blush. While pulling off dramatic red blush may not be for all of us, red lipstick is a must have for every girl. It may be a little intimidating at first, but combined with a thick liquid eyeliner and toned down eye shadow, the red lipstick is a knock out. If you’re wearing red lipstick it’s important to not overdue the rest of your makeup and just let the focus be on those ruby red lips. 

Snow White may not be Disney’s most popular princess, but she was the first and set the bar for all the others that followed. While other princesses may have more elaborate dresses and shoes, no one holds a candle to Snow White’s optimism and gentle loving nature for all people and creatures. It may be hard to relate to being chased into the woods threatening to be killed by your step-mother, but it is easy to see how depending on a close group of friends and believing in your dreams could eventually lead you to your own fairy tale ending.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!