Fashion Challenge: Be Inspired by Mad Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I admit I jumped onto the Mad Men wagon late in the game. Thankfully Netflix has all the seasons on their website so I caught up fast. (Don’t worry I won’t give away any spoilers.) Set in the 1960s, this show centers on men and women who work at a New York City advertising agency and their lives in and out of the office. I am in awe with the fashion style of this era, these women always look classy and elegant.  By taking inspiration from their looks, you can get ideas and modernize them for your own wardrobe.

January Jones plays housewife, Betty Francis. Betty, a former model, now spends the majority of her day around the house raising her 3 children. Amongst all the drama going on in her life, she continues to dress flawlessly. Her character may be slightly icy but she always looks incredibly sweet and demure. Betty’s wardrobe consists of full skirts, lots of scarves, and pearl accessories. 

Betty typically wears beautiful dresses in her day to day life.
By adding some statement jewelry and a great pair of heels this outfit would be great for a night out.

The sleeves from this jacket stray away from your typical outerwear.  A nice cinched waist adds a modern silhouette to the usual bulky jacket. Take a cue from Betty and polish this look off with a great silk scarf.

By far my favorite character is Joan Holloway, played by Christina Hendricks. She is stunning on this show and has an impeccable hourglass figure.  Joan exudes confidence and walks thru the office like it is her runway. Joan tends to wear a lot of curve hugging dresses in jewel tones, and of course has an endless array of the essential pencil skirt. 

This dress is classic Joan, form-fitting, a beautiful green tone, and topped off with a bow. While it may be too dressy for class this dress would be perfect for an interview or day at work.

As it starts getting colder outside, the halls of school become a flood of black and grey outerwear. A red jacket like this would stand out among the crowd. Joan tends to wear a lot of red which compliments her hair, but this jacket would look great on everyone. Add some skinny jeans with a pair of great boots and you are set.

Elisabeth Moss portrays Peggy Olson, the more conservative dressing one of this series. She plays a young woman trying to make it in a business dominated by men, and fashion doesn’t seem to be her highest priority. Throughout the series her character has blossomed from a shy secretary to a headstrong copy editor not afraid to get her ideas across. Peggy’s style consists of A-line dresses, Peter Pan collars, cardigans, and every so often she pulls off adorable hats. While I wouldn’t suggest copying her bangs from season one, Peggy has a nice girl next door look to her that would easily translate into a modern day college girl wardrobe.

Peggy tends to wear a lot of tie front blouses. Paired off with some cigarette pants and oxford shoes, this look is very sophisticated and has a great vintage feel.

This full skirt would be a great piece to add to any wardrobe as the vibrant blue shade is a real eye catcher. It would be hard to get any work done though, because all I would be able to think of doing is twirling like Julie Andrews in the opening scene of The Sound of Music. 

Never underestimate the power of a good cardigan. If you’re running late in the morning they’re easy to throw over any top to make you look a little more put together. Peggy wears a variety of neutral tones so this cardigan would be a great choice for her. The embellishments on the front add a sweet feminine touch.

Mad Men may be set in the 60’s but there are many ways to be inspired by their looks and bring a modern feel to them. Mix up your wardrobe by hitting up a local vintage store and see what you can find.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!