Everything You Need to Know About Joining a Sorority at Hofstra

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Have you decided to join one of Hofstra University’s Panhellenic sororities? You’re in luck! The first round of formal recruitment is coming soon. This process lasts two weekends and can be incredibly overwhelming— I was in your shoes last year and completely understand! I’m here to break down each day of rounds and tell you what sorority recruitment is really like.

What to do Before Recruitment

To be able to participate in formal recruitment, you must register for recruitment online and attend one of the Panhellenic Council’s orientation sessions. It’s also required that you have taken 12 credits at Hofstra and have a 2.5 GPA. Once all this is done, you’ll be assigned a Recruitment Counselor to guide you through this process.  

An important thing to remember is that going through recruitment does not guarantee that you will be in a sorority. After each round of recruitment, you will rank every sorority from one to six. The sororities will also rank every girl they met that day. If you both rank each other high enough, you’ll be invited to their next round. This process continues until you find the sorority that is perfect for you.

A post shared by Hofstra Panhellenic Council (@hofstrapanhel) on

What to Expect From Each Round

Round One is Scholarship Round. This is your chance to meet with every sorority and get a feel for what their sisterhood is like. I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but you need to keep an open mind when meeting with different organizations! You might find you click with a group of girls you hadn’t considered. Be prepared to spend all day talking to each organization. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes and bring water! As for clothes, this is the least fancy of all the rounds. I wore a cardigan sweater, high-waisted jeans, and sneakers. You can wear whatever you feel comfortable in and shows your personal style, while still making a good impression.

Round Two is Philanthropy Round. You will get asked back to two to four of Hofstra’s six sororities, based on rankings. This round focuses on the charitable organizations each sorority supports and the community service they are involved in. You will also see each organization’s recruitment video, which is designed to show you what it’s really like to be a sister. This round is also getting to know the sisters better to find out if this is the organization you want to be a part of. For the second round, dress a little nicer than you did for Round One. I would recommend wearing a skirt and a nice shirt or sweater.

Preference Round is the last step before getting a bid. You will be asked back to one or two sororities, again, depending on rankings. This is the most intimate round as each sorority will invite back many of their alumnae to include you in one of their rituals. This gives you a closer look into the organization and their history. This round is the fanciest; be sure to wear a dress and heels, or something as equally dressed up.

Bid Day is the day you finally find your new home! You’ll receive an envelope and open it at the same time as every other girl before running to your new home. It’s an exciting time where you can officially can these girls sisters. Most sororities will have activities after bid day to welcome you home. You’ll receive a matching shirt from your sorority on bid day, so be sure to wear pants and shoes that will match with whatever this shirt might look like!

What Sorority Life is Actually Like

Recruitment is a hectic couple of days, but that’s just the beginning of sorority life. Each sorority will have a New Member Education process that lasts about six weeks, ending in an initiation ceremony in April. During this time, you’ll have a ton of events allowing you to bond with your sisters and learn more about your organization.

Once you’re finally an official member of your sorority, you have all the responsibilities of the older sisters. This includes multiple mandatory events per week, such as chapter meetings and philanthropy events. I know this sounds super overwhelming, but your sorority will understand if work or school conflicts with these events.

Another daunting part of sorority life is paying dues. Your dues will be several hundred dollars per semester, depending on your organization, and they will fund all the events you have with your sisters. Most organizations will allow you to choose a payment plan so this is more manageable.

A post shared by DELTA PHI EPSILON (@dphiehofstra) on

Despite all this, being in a sorority can truly transform your college experience. You’ll meet so many people through Hofstra’s Greek life and make some lifelong friends. Being a part of an organization presents you with so many opportunities you wouldn’t have had without it. I know this process can seem insane, but it can be one of the best decisions you make in college. As long as you keep an open mind and follow your gut, you’ll be sure to find the sorority that’s your perfect fit.

Don’t forget to register for Hofstra University’s Panhellenic Recruitment here!

Diana Iscenko

Hofstra '20

Diana is a junior at Hofstra University, double majoring in Journalism and English/Creative Writing. She is Twitter manager and a contributing writer for HC Hofstra. When she's not writing for Her Campus, she can be found spending time with her sisters in Alpha Epsilon Phi.