Entertainment Unlimited’s Oscar Viewing Party A Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Hofstra club Entertainment Unlimited rolled out the red carpet last night for its annual Oscar viewing party. Students got their pictures taken with a giant Oscar cutout along the red carpet. As pictures were being taken, students would appear on a projector screen as if they were live at the Oscars.

And no party would be complete without free appetizers. The club served chicken fingers, pigs in a blanket, and mozzarella sticks. There were also free strawberry daiquiri and margarita ‘mocktails.’ Concessions such as candy, popcorn, and soda were also available for purchase. Free giveaways are another thing this club is famous for doing, and last night was no different. Students were encouraged to submit their choices for who they thought would win last night; the person who guessed the most correct would win a bucket of movies!

What movies were in there, you ask?

Oscar nominee Melissa McCarthy’s Bridesmaids, as well as Oscar nominees for best picture: Midnight in Paris and Moneyball. With free food and giveaways, the event seemed to attract many people.

According to the club, the event only brought in about fifteen people in the past. This time, there were around 40 people there–a successful night for the club.

“I thought it went really well. I liked the food and ‘mocktails’ and everyone guessing for prizes. We were all taking pictures and having a great time,” said Hofstra junior Jennifer Van Pelt.

The good turnout makes having another Oscar party next year more likely. This year, Entertainment Unlimited almost didn’t have a party because of low attendance, but since it did well this year, we may see another Oscar party in the future.

Grace Gavilanes is a rising junior at Hofstra University majoring in English and Journalism. She hopes to pursue a career in Journalism and, eventually, in English Education. Grace is super driven and has many goals that she is positive will be made into reality. This Queens native enjoys drinking bubble tea and dancing in the rain!